Continuation of Cobra Coverage
Federal law requires the medical plan to offer covered employees and dependents the opportunity to continue their medical coverage beyond the date coverage would normally end.
Benefits are identical to those in effect prior to the qualifying event. However, you will be charged the full cost of the coverage. COBRA rate sheets are available in the Human Resources office, 433 Bolivar St., Room 626, or by calling (504) 568-7780.
You and/or your dependents must apply within 60 days of receipt of COBRA packet.
Continuation of coverage is guaranteed as long as you enroll and remit necessary premiums within the 60 day election period.
Your medical coverage under any of the plans will end on the last day of the month in which:
- Employment terminates
- Work hours are reduced to less than 30 hour/week
- You elect to cancel coverage
- Employee dies
You and/or your covered dependents may continue coverage for up to 18 months if coverage ends due to:
- Permanent reduction in hours worked
- Termination of employment for any reason
You and/or your covered dependents may continue coverage for up to 36 months if coverage ends due to:
- Divorce from the employee
- Death of the employee
- Dependent child reaches age limitation or otherwise ceases to qualify as a dependent under the plan.