From: Ronnie Smith,
Vice Chancellor, Administration and Finance
Subject: Hurricane Katrina Recovery – Update #7
Posted: December 22, 2005
Progress continues on a number of tasks related to both temporary and permanent repairs to the campus facilities. We are still working closely with the State’s Office of Facility Planning & Control and the Office of Risk Management, FEMA and the LSU Systems Office to execute strategies designed to re-open the upper floors of the three primary research buildings as early as possible (CSRB, MEB, & Lion’s Eye Center).
Here are highlights of work that has been accomplished since our last update was posted on Friday, December 9th.
The bid for the environmental remediation of the 1st floors of the CSRB, the MEB and Lion’s Eye Center has been released and advertised. Responses are due on 1/18/06.
- The Office of Facility Planning & Control will now request that the architect for the downtown campus project complete their design work and prepare bid documents for environmental remediation of the other downtown campus buildings.
- Repair parts for elevators around campus are beginning to arrive and the permanent repairs to individual elevators have begun. Contractors are currently making permanent repairs to elevators at:
Until permanent repairs are completed and elevators certified by the State Elevator Inspector, routine use has been discontinued. Restricting the use of elevators in buildings where the environmental remediation has not been completed will help to minimize further spreading of mold to upper floors.
- Lion’s Eye Center
- Resource Center
- Stanislaus Hall
- A new contract to clean the upper portions of the Dental School Administration and Clinic Buildings has been issued and work will begin shortly.
- The emergency removal and disposal of carpet and other porous & semi-porous materials from basements & 1st floors of the flooded campus buildings is in progress. Contractors have had teams working at the following buildings:
- CSRB (interrupted by permanent repairs to switchgear)
- Lion’s Eye Center
- 1542 Tulane Ave.
- Nursing/Allied Health
- Resource Center (completed)
Work is largely completed on the permanent repair/rebuilding of domestic water pumps in the Resource Center, Residence Hall, and MEB. The final pump from the Residence Hall has been removed, sent to be rebuilt and will be reinstalled on 12/27/05. When it has been reinstalled and tested the contract will be complete.
Work continues on the contract to make permanent repairs to the switchgear in the Residence Hall, CSRB, Lion’s Eye Center, MEB and Nursing/Allied Health Buildings.
- CSRB: The building was powered down on the 12th. Power has been restored to the emergency and elevator risers. Delays in receiving selected repair parts have extended the completion of repairs into the 1st week of January.
- Nursing/Allied Health: The contractor began work on the 19th and repairs are scheduled to be completed within the week.
- Residence Hall: Parts are on order and the remaining work is planned to occur over weekends.
- MEB: The remaining parts needed to complete repairs are on order.
The State of Louisiana Architect Selection Board awarded the contract for the design contract for the major repairs/renovations to the Dental School on 12/13/05 to a joint venture between Morton Verges Architects and Mathes Brierre Architects.
The bid to make repairs to various types of pumps to supply water and heat to the Residence Hall, MEB, CSRB, Lion’s Eye Center, Nursing/Allied Health, and Resource Center was re-issued. Adjustments to the specifications were needed to increase the opportunity for the expenses to be reimbursed by FEMA and to address completion date issues on selected pumps with unusually long lead times. Bids are due on 1/6/06 and should be awarded shortly thereafter.
The contract for the permanent replacement of fire pumps in the Nursing/Allied Health Bldg, the Residence Hall, the Resource Center, the CSRB, the Lion’s Eye Center and the MEB was awarded on 12/16 and replacement parts have been ordered.
- Contracts to repair the fire alarm systems and their components in downtown campus buildings have been awarded to the vendors who currently provide annual maintenance to the systems. This approach will insure that the systems can be re-certified and remain under the existing maintenance contract. Work is underway at this time.
- The repairs to the system in Stanislaus Hall have been completed and the inspection by the State Fire Marshall has been requested.
- In selected buildings where repairs are relatively simple, the work will be completed by LSUHSC Facilities staff and the system(s) re-certified by the current system maintenance contractor.
A contract has been issued for the repairs to Animal Care cage washers, bottle washers and sterilizers at the CSRB.
A bid for the repairs to the emergency generators at the CSRB, MEB, Lion’s Eye Center, Nursing/Allied Health Bldg., Resource Center and the Residence Hall has been developed. The Office of Facility Planning, the Office of Risk Management and FEMA are reviewing the proposed solicitation.
A bid has been issued for repairs to the medical air compressors, vacuum pumps and water purifiers at the CSRB, Lion’s Eye Center and the MEB. Bids are due on 1/13/06.
We hope that you continue to find this information helpful. Don’t forget that Daily Updates are also posted on the web site so that you can follow the recovery progress more closely.