Smith, Vice Chancellor, Administration and Finance
Subject: Hurricane Katrina Recovery – Update #35
Posted: February 2, 2007
At 1542 Tulane Ave. the contractor continues to install
additional electrical components necessary to fully power up and light the
building. New submersible sump pumps are being installed that will protect the
basement spaces from the intrusion of ground water during heavy rains. Repair
work on various building elevators continues. Several change orders have been
priced and the remaining issues related to FEMA reimbursement of those change
orders are being addressed so that the work can be authorized. The design team
and FEMA have also been making good progress on the scope alignment process
related to the permanent repairs to downtown campus buildings.
LSUHSC’s Industrial Hygienist is reviewing the environmental
remediation and duct cleaning needs at the Dental School so that he can evaluate
the bid specifications prior to issuing bids for the work. A separate contract
was issued to remove the old ceilings from the 1st floor lobbies in
both the Clinic and Administration buildings. The work has been completed in the
Clinic Building and should be finished in the Administration Building shortly.
The temporary dehumidification equipment has been disconnected and removed. The
new motor control center has been delivered to the Power Plant and the
preparations for removing the old center and installing the new one are
underway. Elevator repairs have progressed well. Smoke alarms need to be
installed in the elevator shafts before they can be certified for use. Once this
has been completed, we will request inspection of two passenger elevators and
the freight elevator in the Clinic Building.
LSUHSC Facility Services is working with the Dental School
architects to complete plans for replacing the old ceiling tile in both the
Clinic and Administration Buildings. Plans are to use upgraded tiles that are
humidity resistant, mold resistant, and that will enhance the appearance of the
ceilings. A portion of the cost will be reimbursable by FEMA due to damage done
by the extended exposure to high heat and humidity during the months following
The enhancements to the MEB atrium are continuing. All of the
drywall has now been installed; taped and floated. The final sanding has been
completed and painting will begin next week. The installation of flooring will
follow and the new light fixtures are on order and should be delivered by
mid-February. The State Fire Marshal has inspected the placement of the fire
suppression sprinklers and we anticipate receiving his written report shortly.
Here are highlights of work that has been accomplished since our
last update was posted two weeks ago.
Project to Make Temporary Repairs to the Dental School:
- Daily tests of the interior air at the Dental School that were done for
approximately a week demonstrated that the humidity levels were being
sufficiently well controlled to allow the temporary dehumidification units
to be removed from the buildings.
- The contractor disconnected the power lines supplying power to the
- All of the dehumidifiers have been removed from the Dental Clinic
and Administration buildings.
- The contractor then covered all of the outside air intake louvers
that had been utilized by the dehumidification units.
- A project to remove the old ceiling in the 1st floor lobbies
of the Clinic and Administration buildings began approximately 2 weeks ago.
- The demolition of the ceiling in the 1st floor lobby of
the Clinic Building is complete.
- The demolition of the ceiling in the 1st floor lobby of
the Administration Building was completed today.
- Only minor clean up activity remains to be done.
- The FEMA team met with representatives from LSUHSC, the design team and
the company that assessed the boilers located in the Power Plant, as part of
the follow up on the report issued by the assessment company.
- Additional assessment work will be completed and information
provided to FEMA to help in defining and refining the scope of the
damage to the boilers caused by the flood waters.
- The new motor control center for the Dental Power Plant has been
delivered and the installation process is underway.
- The contractor uncrated the motor control center and prepared it to
be lifted up to the mezzanine of the Power Plant.
- The electrical subcontractor has identified all of the electrical
connections at the old motor control center that are needed for the new
- The new motor control center is being assembled in preparation for
- Plans are being developed to allow for the installation of the new
motor control center that will minimize disruption to buildings’ systems
- The initial phase of the project to restore telephone service to the
Dental School Clinic and Admin buildings has begun.
- The contractor started by running new conduit in the basement that
will carry the telephone trunk lines to the 5th floor
- The contractor ran 3", 2", and 1/2" conduit in the penthouse of the
Dental Clinic Building.
- The elevator contractor continues to make repairs to the freight
elevator and the passenger elevators in the Clinic and Administration
- They have been coordinating their work with the project to remove
the 1st floor ceilings; working in one building while the
demolition of the ceiling is underway in the other.
- The mechanical subcontractor started changing the control valves for the
re-heat coils in the Dental Clinic Building.
- The final parts have been installed on the three air compressors in the
Power Plant. They are now on line.
- The insulation subcontractor measured the steam line and condensate
return lines in preparation for the re-insulation process.
- The emergency, truck mounted chiller that had served the Dental School
Clinic and Admin buildings until the temporary chiller repairs were made was
removed from the site today.
- LSUHSC Facility Services has started replacing the
batteries in the automatic flushing mechanisms in the Dental School Clinic
Project to Make Temporary Repairs to 1542 Tulane Ave.:
- The contractor continues installing conduit and pulling electrical
wiring in the basement to supply power to the basement lights.
- New electrical panels have been installed in the basement.
- They are also installing conduit and wiring for the transfer
switches and to connect an additional transformer that will supply power
to the elevators.
- Three way switches to control the basement lighting have been
- The new submersible sump pumps have been delivered and the preparations
for their installation are well underway.
- The mechanical subcontractor has removed the old pipes from the
damaged sump pumps.
- The old sump pumps and the plates that support them have been
- The conduit and wiring for the sump pump switches and starter
station has been installed.
- New circuit breakers for the sump pump disconnects have been
installed and the switches and starter stations are being connected.
- Two of the new sump pumps have been set in place. The third sump in
the front of the building is being cleaned in preparation for placement
of the third pump.
- The insulation subcontractor has started insulating the chilled water
pipes in the basement.
- The insulation and related supplies have been delivered to the site
and is being installed.
- Once the insulation has been installed, it will be labeled.
- The elevator contractor continues to make repairs to the various
- They have been working on elevators # 1 and #2; replacing components
in the panels and hauling debris to the first floor.
- Damaged parts have been removed from the elevator penthouse and
MEB Atrium Renovation:
We encourage you to follow the details of our
progress through the daily updates which are posted
on the web site.
- The remaining light fixtures were installed in the MEB 3rd
floor corridors, including the installation of a new down-light by each
restroom door for the restrooms located behind the bank of elevators.
- The fur downs and drywall have been installed over the space that had
been blocked off to afford protected access through the atrium during the
- All of the drywall has been taped and floated. The final sanding is
being completed and painting will begin next week.
- Construction of a knee wall along the elevated potion of flooring will
be constructed next week.
- The State Fire Marshal has reviewed the placement of sprinklers and we
anticipate receiving his written report shortly.
- New light fixtures are on order and should be received on or about
2/12/07 and installation would begin shortly thereafter.
- The installation of the flooring is expected to begin on 2/12/07.