Smith, Vice Chancellor, Administration and Finance
Subject: Hurricane Katrina Recovery – Update #51
Posted: September 21, 2007
The new President of the
LSU System President, Dr. John Lombardi, led a group
of dignitaries, including the new LSU System Vice
President, Dr. Fred Cerise, LSU Health Sciences
Chancellor, Dr. Larry Hollier, and Dental School
Dean, Dr. Eric Hovland, at a press conference
announcing the resumption of dental clinics for
patients at the New Orleans campus. Patients are
being seen and classes are underway.
Work at the Dental School
continues in a few areas. The Central Sterilization
unit is expected to be back in operation in its new
3rd floor location within the next week.
Temporary work spaces for Facility Services, Supply
Chain Management, and Dental Central Supply have
been constructed on the 1st floor of the
Clinic Building and are beginning to be used. Work
on the elevator lobby and the main lobby area is
progressing on schedule. The restoration of the
exterior lighting in the parking lots and grounds is
Temporary repairs continue
to be made at 1542 Tulane Ave. The work to restore
electrical power throughout the building is
substantially complete. The replacement of the flood
damaged and obsolete fire alarm system is
progressing well. The foundation for the temporary
emergency generator has been constructed and the
generator should be moved into position and
connected starting next week. Repairs to the
building control system are underway and plans are
being made to receive chilled water from Entergy
Thermal by the end of the month. Repairs to building
elevators are progressing.
The final construction
drawings for the permanent repairs and the Section
406 Hazard Mitigation proposal for the Lions/LSU
Clinic Building have been completed and delivered to
LSUHSC, the Office of Facility Planning and Control,
the Governors Office of Homeland Security and
Emergency Preparedness and FEMA for review. We have
also received the Design/Development packages for
the permanent repairs and Section 406 Hazard
Mitigation proposals for the Allied Health/Nursing
Building, the Residence Hall, and the Resource
Center. These are also being reviewed by all of the
Here are highlights of
work that has been accomplished since our last
update was posted two weeks ago.
Project to Make Temporary
Repairs to the Dental School:
- 1st Floor Clinic Building Projects
- Insulation has been installed around the
- The HVAC installation in the main
lobby is substantially complete.
- Siemens is completing the
installation of the VAV boxes on the air
handler for area 3.
- Lighting and electrical installation
- The lighting installation in the
elevator lobby is substantially
- All electrical connections in area 3
are substantially complete.
- Air handling units, light fixtures,
and outlets should have power by early
in the week of 9/20/07.
- The remaining light fixtures are
- Areas 1 and 2 temporary work is complete
and awaiting power to be connected to the
- Area 3 mechanical room connections
have been made and the work is
- Floor has been leveled in area 2.
- Sprinkler heads were installed in the
elevator lobby. The installation of the
other sprinkler heads is in progress.
- The fur down in main lobby is being
- The rough-in for the fur down is
- Sheet rock has been delivered and is
- The installation of sheet rock around
the reception desk area is underway.
- Central Sterilization
- Getinge continues to make the various
connections to the sterilization equipment.
- They have completed the placement of
the sterilizers and washers and they are
awaiting new electrical drops to be
installed before testing can occur.
- The remaining connections have been
completed. Testing should be completed
during the week of 9/20/07
- Landis has completed the installation of
wainscoting and has completed the final
- Door hardware and trim has been
- Landis has completed their work and the
architects will do their walkthrough and
develop a punch list.
- Environmental Remediation
- The final viable re-sample result has
arrived and AHU 5A passed and was turned on.
- The remediation project is now complete.
- The domestic water system was shocked
and purged to clean out any bacteria in the
- Test result came back clean
indicating that process was successful.
- Water is now approved for drinking
and patient care activities.
- The ice machine for the food service
area was powered up after the water line was
flushed out to make sure all excess chlorine
was out of the lines.
- Natural gas lines are to be repaired and
tested. Until then, propane will be used in
- The project to replace the various
inline dampers throughout the two buildings
- The site lighting installation is
complete and testing of the lights has been
Project to Make Temporary
Repairs to 1542 Tulane Ave.:
- Fire Alarm System:
- Siemens has installed new speaker
and strobe device boxes on the 1st
- Ordes made the final conduit
connections between the new riser and
the new fire alarm panel.
- All of the new device boxes have
been installed on the 2nd and 3rd
- Siemens continues to work on the
installation of the fire alarm device
boxes on the 4th & 5th floors.
- The contractor has pulled all of the
existing device wires to the junction
boxes in the riser closets on floors 1 -
- Elevator Repairs:
- Stratos Elevator Company is working
on Elevator #2.
- The have installed the
whisper-flex cabling which acts in
conjunction with the counter-weight
as a counter balance to the elevator
- Stratos has wired the car
operator panel, the top of the
elevator car & the controller.
- Stratos continues to work on
Elevator #2, installing new buffers
and making the final programming
adjustments for the elevator car and
- Stratos delivered additional
materials (wiring, conduit, & wiring
duct) to the site for the controllers of
Elevators #7 and #8.
- The wire duct has been installed
for the controllers serving both
- They have replaced the motor
wiring for both of the elevators.
- Arc Mechanical completed the
construction of the wooden form for the
emergency generator foundation.
- The concrete has been poured.
- Ordes Electric is walking the building,
checking all areas powered by the 4th floor
riser for power now that all fuses have been
- Arc Mechanical is on site labeling the
insulated chilled water supply & return
- They have installed the air dryer
for the main air compressor.
- Final connections are being made to
the water heaters.
- American Sprinkler Co is on site
replacing two leaking valves on the fire
pump that were corroded by the flood waters.
- The new valves have been installed
and the remaining valves have been
- Ordes Electric met with Siemens to
discuss and laying-out the wire routing for
the building control system. This work will
replace flooded panels in basement as well
as the associated control devices and
- Ordes is installing control wiring
in the basement for the flow meters,
temperature sensors, and starter
- Zimmer-Eschette is removing the
- The installation of the irrigation control
wires for the Allied Health/Nursing Building and
the MEB has been completed.
- The two inch main irrigation line has been
installed on the Bolivar St. side of the MEB and
the trenches have been backfilled.
- The irrigation control wires have been
spliced at the junction point of the two
separate runs on the Perdido St. side of the
- The two inch main leading to the front door
of the Allied Health/Nursing Building has been
- All of the old vegetation has been removed
from the Gravier St. side of the Allied
- Crews continued installing irrigation
control valves on the Perdido St. side of MEB.
We encourage you to follow the
details of our progress through the daily updates
which are posted on the web site.