Smith, Vice Chancellor, Administration and Finance
Subject: Hurricane Katrina Recovery – Update #52
Posted: September 28, 2007
Temporary repairs continue
to be made at 1542 Tulane Ave. The emergency
generator is in place and the connections to the
building systems are being made at this time. The
restoration of the building control system is
progressing well. The replacement of the obsolete
fire alarm system is well underway. Plans are being
made to receive chilled water from Entergy Thermal
by late in October as part of restoring A/C to the
building. Repairs to building elevators are
progressing well and Elevator #2 may soon be
certified for normal use. We have developed a
project plan with critical path items identified
that will guide us as we move towards re-opening a
portion of the building in the months ahead.
Work on the 1st
floor of the Dental School Clinic Building is moving
forward rapidly. The walls have been constructed,
dry walled, taped and floated. The majority of the
walls have also been painted. The mechanical room
has been completed and one of the 1st
floor air handlers is already in operation. Ceiling
work on the 1st floor is approximately
70% complete. The Central Sterilization unit is now
in operation, although the washers cannot be used
until the reverse osmosis system that works with the
washers has been sterilized. That work is planned to
be completed within the next week.
A variety of enhancement
projects around the downtown campus continue to move
forward. The old sidewalks have been removed and new
sidewalks have been poured around the Residence
Hall. The installation of the irrigation system
around both the MEB and the Allied Health/Nursing
Building is substantially complete. Planting can now
begin in those areas.
A new and enhanced
Starbucks kiosk has been constructed in the MEB
Atrium and is in operation, while work in the MEB
cafeteria continues to progress. The new MEB Morgue
coolers and freezers are under construction and the
work is progressing on schedule.
Here are highlights of
work that has been accomplished since our last
update was posted two weeks ago.
Project to Make Temporary
Repairs to the Dental School:
- 1st Floor Clinic Building Projects
- The construction of the fur down in the
1st floor elevator lobby in the Clinic
Building is complete and the sheet rock has
been installed, taped and floated,
- The walls in the lobby area, including
the curved wall section have been framed and
the sheet rock has been installed.
- All the walls have been taped and
- All the walls except the curved wall
at the reception desk have been painted.
- The lighting fixtures and switches are
being installed throughout the main lobby
area and work is progressing.
- The equipment in the mechanical room
located in area 3 is connected and the
electrical panel is being tested and
- The installation of the mechanical
room controls is complete and equipment
testing has begun.
- The air handler in area 1 is
- The installation of new ceiling grid in
the Clinic Building 1st floor elevator lobby
- The walls are complete and being
prepped for painting.
- The ceiling light fixtures are
installed and Landis is waiting for the
final painting to be completed to
- Central Sterilization
- The remaining equipment related to the
Central Sterilization operation is now
installed and connected.
- Getinge has trained the School of
Dentistry staff on the operation of the
new sterilization equipment.
- The Dental School staff are now
using the sterilization equipment.
- Landis has received the punch list from the
architect and is working on addressing the
- A Change Order is required to relocate
the cut off valves for the sterilizer and to
add an additional air line.
- The Change Order has been issued to
Landis for this work and the work has
- The Reverse Osmosis (RO) system has been
inspected and tested.
- Siemens evaluated the RO system and
has recommended that the system be
sanitized (similar to the way the
Domestic water was sanitized.)
- Siemens has been issued a PO to
sanitize and flush the reverse osmosis
- This system supports the washers in
the Central Sterilization unit, so they
are not yet in operation.
- Siemens will begin decontaminating the
RO system next week.
- The process of removing old HVAC inline
zone dampers and installing new ones is
proceeding throughout the buildings.
- The work is being coordinated so
that it does not interrupt classes or
clinical operations during the day.
- Doors for the new network/telecom
closets should be arriving soon and the
final build out will occur once they arrive.
- Site lighting installation and
replacement is complete and the we are
awaiting connection of power by Entergy.
Project to Make Temporary
Repairs to 1542 Tulane Ave.:
- Fire Alarm System:
- All of the new fire alarm device boxes
have been installed on Floors 1 through 8.
- Siemens finished installing conduit to
the fire alarm device boxes in the basement.
- They are installing conduit on the 2nd
- The conduit is being re-routed in the
- Elevator Repairs:
- Stratos completed the installation of
the buffer for Elevator #2.
- They are replacing the door guides
on the elevator.
- They are continuing to make final
adjustments to Elevator #2.
- The phone line to Elevator #2 has
- Stratos will be scheduling an
inspection by the State Elevator
Inspector in the near future.
- Stratos Elevator continues to wire the
controllers for Elevators #7 and #8 to allow
the elevators to run on inspection mode.
- They are installing new wiring for
the controller for Elevator #8.
- Stratos is removing the buffers on
- Stratos started installing the door
guides for Elevator #8 on floors 6
- Emergency Generator:
- Conduit has been installed from the
junction box in the basement to a junction
box in the parking lot.
- Ordes set the temporary emergency
generator on the new concrete foundation and
they are making the connections to the
- Ordes has installed the grounding rods
and is installed the new conduit from the
junction box in the parking lot to the new
- They are connecting the generator's
internal control wiring.
- Ordes Electric completed all of the
conduit installation for the emergency
- Ordes installed 110V circuits from
emergency panel EPL1 to the emergency
generator for the battery charger and other
miscellaneous generator power requirements.
- Pneumatic tubing is being installed in the
basement for the building control system.
- Entergy Thermal completed the pressure
washing of the heat exchanger plates for the
Energy Transfer Station.
- Siemens continues to re-route conduit in the
- Arc Mechanical is replacing the pressure
gauges on the Energy Transfer Station and is
making a materials list for the installation of
the pre-cooler for the main air compressor.
- Crews resumed the
installation of the irrigation piping on the
Gravier St. side of the Allied Health/Nursing
- The layout for the irrigation piping has
been completed on the Gravier St. side of
the Allied Health/Nursing Building.
- The trenching for the irrigation
sprinkler piping on the Gravier St. side of
the Allied Health/Nursing building is
- All of the irrigation valves have been
installed at the Allied Health/Nursing
- Irrigation station 2 located on the
Gravier St. side of the Allied
Health/Nursing Building has been installed.
- All of the pipes and sprinklers have
been installed and the trenches and holes
have been backfilled.
- Irrigation station # 3, #4, #5, and #6
on the Gravier St. side of the Allied
Health/Nursing Building and along the
Bolivar St. side of Allied Health/Nursing
has been installed.
- The final grading on the Gravier St.
side of the Allied Health/Nursing Building
closer to S. Roman St. is underway.
- Crews installed sleeves under the forms
built for the new sidewalks on the Bolivar St.
and Perdido St. sides of the Residence Hall for
future irrigation piping.
- Crews completed the installation of the
irrigation valves around the MEB.
- Crews also resumed the installation of
irrigation valve boxes around the valves
previously installed around the MEB.
- The crews completed sealing the last of the
4 inch sleeves under walkways with PVC caps.
- The wiring between the junction box for
irrigation valve wires and the irrigation
controller was completed.
- The new bench seating which will be
installed along all the curved walls was
- In addition, half of the booths that
will go in the center of the cafeteria and
the curved booths for the platform were also
received on site and placed in their
- The contractor is installing the feature
wall and the remaining booth sections.
- The terrazzo base is also being installed.
- Merit Sprinkler is scheduled to relocate the
one sprinkler head that is in conflict with the
feature wall installation.
- Custom casework is being installed as it
arrives on site.
- The new and expanded Starbuck coffee kiosk
is substantially complete and is back in
- The new concrete slab has been completed.
- The rough in of the electrical wiring is
- The control panels for two coolers and the
new walk in freezer have been installed.
- The new insulated wall panels are being
delivered from the manufacturer and are being
installed as they are received.
- The new condensing units are being
- The refrigeration lines and condenser
water lines have been run to each condenser
unit and these have been insulated.
- The control panels for each condenser
unit have also been hung.
Downtown Campus Sidewalks:
- In our continuing effort to maintain and
improve our campuses, we scheduled a sidewalk
improvement project in the immediate area of the
Residence Hall. The contractor began working on
9/13/07 and worked daily from 6:30 AM until 3:00
PM (as weather permitted). The work was
scheduled to be completed within 3 weeks, as
- PHASE 1: Bolivar St. sidewalks (both
sides) between Perdido & Poydras.
- All of Phase 1 work has been
completed, with the exception of a 12
foot section that could not be poured
due to a water leak. Once the Sewerage &
Water Board repairs the leak, the
section will be poured.
- PHASE 2: Perdido St. sidewalk (Residence
Hall side only) between Bolivar & S. Roman.
- All of the Phase 2 work has been
- PHASE 3: S. Roman St. sidewalk
(Residence Hall side only) between Perdido &
- All of the Phase 3 work was
completed at the end of this week.
We encourage you to follow the
details of our progress through the daily updates
which are posted on the web site.