Smith, Vice Chancellor, Administration and Finance
Subject: Hurricane Katrina Recovery – Update #71
Posted: June 20, 2008
The contractor responsible
for the permanent repairs and hazard mitigation at
the Lions/LSU Clinic Building is making steady
progress. The walls for the 7th Floor laboratory
have been framed, sheet rock has been installed on
one side, the rough in electrical and plumbing is
nearing completion, and the new gas line has been
installed. The framing up of new interior walls on
the 6th Floor for the Cohn Learning Center is
substantially complete. Significant portions of the
new walls have been dry-walled. Rough in electrical,
plumbing and HVAC work has progressed well
throughout the 6th Floor. Preparations for
construction of the new exterior stairwell have
begun and the demolition work is advancing.
The first of the projects
scheduled for the summer have begun and are
progressing on schedule. The demolition in the
Resource Center Library is already completed. The
layout of the new interior walls has been
substantially completed and the crews have framed up
many of the new walls. The mechanical sub-contractor
has begun to fabricate and install the new HVAC duct
work in the spaces that are being renovated.
The majority of the
demolition in the MEB 2nd Floor lobby has been
finished. The floor tile, ceiling tile and grid, and
the old Facility Service office walls have been
removed. The temporary construction walls protecting
Campus Office Stores and Medical Center Stores have
The old air handling unit
serving the 2nd Floor and mezzanine in the Residence
Hall has been removed. The concrete base for the new
AHU has been poured, the AHU delivered and set in
place and the connections are being made. The old
flooring on the 2nd Floor has been removed and
temporary ramps are being constructed.
Work in the MEB Lecture
Rooms is underway. This project provides for the
replacement and enhancement of the Audio/Visual
equipment to make it state-of-the-art. Included is a
new audio system, connection to the Access Grid, new
recording equipment, and an enhanced lectern that
allows for easy reconfiguration of A/V to suit
presentation needs. The contractor has installed the
conduit in the ceilings of Lecture Rooms and the
trenches for the new duct work below the floors have
The new casework for MDL
#5 has been ordered. The old casework and flooring
is being removed. The terrazzo floors in the MEB
cafeteria are being honed.
Work to prepare portions
of 1542 Tulane Ave. to be reoccupied continues.
Repairs to Elevator #7 are proceeding well. New
mini-blinds have been installed in offices on Floors
1 through 6. New furniture continues to be
installed. The lounge furniture has been delivered
and staged until the lounge spaces are completed.
Siemens continues to test the fire alarm system and
address any problems that are discovered. The
grinding and polishing of the terrazzo on the upper
floors of the building is continuing.
Here are highlights of
work that has been accomplished since our last
update was posted two weeks ago.
Lions/LSU Clinic Permanent
Repairs and Mitigation:
- The contractor completed the core drilling
of the 6th Floor slab.
- Saw cutting is being done on the ground
level slab for new exterior stairwell on the
front of the building.
- Dry flood-proofing of the pit for Elevators
#2 and #3 continues.
- Electrical work is being done on the 2nd
- The work on the plumbing, mechanical, fire
sprinkler and electrical systems continues on
the 6th Floor.
- Sheetrock is being installed on some of
the new interior walls.
- The gas line for the new 7th Floor lab has
Repair Work at 1542 Tulane
- Elevator Repairs:
- Stratos finished changing the travel
cables for Elevator #7.
- Stratos finished changing the governor
sheave and governor ropes on Elevator #7.
- Stratos finished wiring the car station
for Elevator #7.
- Final Remediation and Cleaning:
- Zimmer-Eschette finished cleaning Room
109H, and the control room and storage room
in the auditorium.
- The rooms passed visual inspection
and were tested.
- Terrazzo Floors:
- Premier Source Inc. finished polishing
the terrazzo floor in the Tulane Ave.
corridor on the 5th Floor.
- Premier Source Inc. detailed the
terrazzo floor and ceramic base on the 7th
and 8th Floors.
- Mini Blinds:
- Brooks Window Coverings finished
installing the mini-blinds on the
1st, 2nd, 3rd, 4th,
5th and 6th Floors.
- Ceiling Lights:
- Hogue & Associates finished removing the
old ceiling light fixtures in the old
section of the building near the near the
rear elevators on all floors.
- Hogue & Associates are installing the
new light fixtures in the center corridor on
the 1st and 2nd Floors.
- The contractor is removing light
fixtures in the old section of the
building near the elevators.
- New Furniture:
- The Herman-Miller Group is assembling
modular furniture in offices on the 7th
Floor that were previously inaccessible.
- The Herman-Miller Group delivered the
soft surface lounge furnishings and staged
them in the old section of the building
until the remaining renovations are
- Fire Alarm:
- Siemens is clearing fire alarm panel
troubles (lower smoke detectors) in the
elevator shafts for Elevators #1, #2, and
- The contractor is clearing fire alarm
panel troubles (exhaust fan/smoke detectors)
in the penthouse for Elevator #7 and #8.
- Siemens is assessing the damage to the
smoke detectors and fire alarm devices in
the elevator pits for Elevators #1, #2, #3,
- Zimmer-Eschette primed and painted the
temporary mechanical room walls on the 6th
and 7th Floors.
- The contractor painted the ceiling in
the Tulane Ave. entrance lobby on the 1st
- The contractor is relocating the storage
boxes containing old office contents and the
remaining pre-Katrina furniture on the 4th
Floor to the rear of the building, in the
old section that will not be re-occupied
- Trison crews are sealing the plaster
ceilings in the elevator lobbies of the 2nd
and 3rd Floors in the old section of the
- Merit Sprinkler Co. is removing the
damaged air compressor for the 8th Floor dry
Repair Work at the Dental
- Permanent Roof Repairs:
- Needham Roofing completed cleaning and
water proofing the penthouses and parapet
walls on the Clinic and Administration
- They are installing the wood nailers for
the metal coping on the tops of the parapet
walls. The metal coping is designed to
further deter water penetration through the
roofs on both buildings.
- Premier Source Inc. completed honing the
terrazzo on the 1st Floor of the Clinic.
- Premier Source Inc. finished honing the
terrazzo floors in the 2nd Floor elevator
lobby and waiting area of the Clinic
- Premier Source completed honing the
terrazzo floors in the Clinic Building 3rd
and 4th Floor lobbies and waiting areas.
- They are now working on the black
terrazzo on the 4th Floor of the
- Crews connected the irrigation control valve
wires for the Resource Center, Station # 4 to
the automatic controller and programmed the
controller to operate overnight.
- They completed the installation of pipe and
sprinklers for Station # 5 which serves the
planting beds located at the front of the
- Crews planted six crepe myrtle trees in the
Pocket Park located in the corner of Student
Parking Lot # 2.
- New Carissa Holly bushes were planted in
front of the Resource Center.
- The tree service has agreed to replace the
'Drake' Chinese Elm tree that did not survive
- The replacement tree will be
container-grown instead of being
- Ivy will be installed in the center
section after replacement of the large tree.
- The crews completed the installation of
plants in each of the two side areas in the
Student Parking Lot # 2 Pocket Park.
- The planting beds have been mulched.
MEB 2nd Floor Lobby
- Zimmer removed the old floor tile from the
entire lobby area.
- Zimmer removed the floor tile from in front
of Campus Office Stores, the Mens Room, the
stairwell closest to the elevated walkway to the
Residence Hall, and the Planning Office.
- Zimmer removed the metal from the storefront
and fixed the lights in the CAD conference room.
Resource Center Library
- The demolition phase of the project is
- The remaining construction walls have been
- Directional signage directing patrons on
entering and exiting the library are in
- New interior walls have been laid out and
stud walls are being constructed.
- The new HVAC duct work is being fabricated
Residence Hall 2nd
- Zimmer completed the interior flooring
demolition and has begun to build the temporary
- The concrete pad for the new air handling
unit has been poured and finished.
- The new AHU has been delivered and has been
set in place. The installation is progressing
MEB 4th Floor -
MDL #5 Renovations:
- AEC removed the old floor tile from MDL #5.
- The contractor is demolishing the ceiling,
old lighting and the existing casework.
MEB Lecture Rooms A & B
- Trison finished running the electrical
conduits in the ceilings in both Lecture Rooms.
MEB Cafeteria Terrazzo
- Premier continues to hone and polish the
floors in the cafeteria.
- The Medical Education Building elevator
upgrades on Freight Elevator #7 are complete and
this elevator is now in service.
- It requires a key to operate it and is
to be used for deliveries and for any and
all types of carts.
- All four passenger elevators are now
upgraded and released for passenger service. The
upgrades to the passenger elevators provide for
faster service, more reliability as well as a
more appealing and updated interiors.
- In order to protect the upgraded
interiors of the passenger elevators, carts
of any type are only to be
transported on freight elevators.
We encourage you to follow
the details of our progress through the daily
updates which are posted on the web site.