Smith, Vice Chancellor, Administration and Finance
Subject: Hurricane Katrina Recovery – Update #75
Posted: August 15, 2008
The summer is winding down, classes
have resumed and work on our many summer projects is
still progressing around campus. The 1st
layer of flooring is about to be poured in the 2nd
Floor lobby in the Medical Education Building. New
walls have been framed up, dry walled, taped and
floated. The installation of the new ceiling in the
public areas of the MEB 4th Floor is
progressing. The new ceiling grid is being
installed. The framing and dry walling of the fur
downs in the student lounge areas has been finished.
The sprinkler heads are being relocated to fit
properly within the new ceiling grid.
The renovations in the MDL #5 are
well underway. The demolition has been completed.
The rough in of new plumbing connections (medical
air, gas and vacuum) that will connect to the new
casework has been progressing and the electrical
rough in has begun. The new ceiling grid has been
installed. The sprinkler heads are being relocated,
light fixtures are being installed and the HVAC and
return air grills are being installed and connected
to the duct work.
The project to resurface the
elevated walkway that connects the Residence Hall to
the MEB is nearing completion. The contractor is
focusing on completing the punch list items. The
contractor who is expanding the 2nd Floor
lobby in the Residence Hall has steel being
fabricated off-site, while their crew has begun to
remove the spandrel glass from the Perdido St. side
of the building. The installation of the monument
fencing around Student Lots 2 and 3 has continued.
The sample of the pre-cast concrete fence elements
has been completed and is being shipped to LSUHSC
for evaluation and approval. Several of the new
building trash compactors have been installed.
Recent instances of inclement weather have
interrupted work on these projects periodically.
The two new projects at the Dental
School are getting started. In the project to
renovate lab spaces on the 6th and 8th
Floors, demolition has begun. Wall panels and duct
work is being removed from areas of the 8th
Floor and old case work is being removed from two 6th
Floor labs. In the two small auditoriums, the
temporary construction barriers have been erected
and the domestic water connections have been
removed. Crews continue to remove the old electrical
wiring from the spaces and the lay out for the new
walls has begun.
The permanent repairs and mitigation
work at the Lions/LSU Clinic Building is continuing.
The plumbers have been working above the ceiling of
the 5th Floor as they install floor
drains, waste lines and heating hot water lines that
will serve the 6th Floor. The new Air
Handling Units are being connected on the 1st
and 6th Floors. Sprinkler lines are being
installed in the 6th Floor ceiling and
walls are being insulated and dry walled. New door
frames are being installed in the new lab space on
the 7th Floor while the preparations for
the construction of the new exterior stairwell are
A variety of small projects that
support the effort to re-occupy portions of 1542
Tulane Ave. have been underway. Old light wells that
allowed light into basement spaces have been closed
in and are being waterproofed. Portions of the front
sidewalk have been removed, the front of the
property has been graded, and the new sidewalk has
been framed up and the reinforcing bar and wire
installed. The installation of access control
devices on the 1st Floor has been
proceeding. The new fan coil units that will serve
the lounge areas have been installed and the walls
in those areas are being framed up. The terrazzo
flooring on the 1st Floor has been
stripped of wax and the initial honing has been
completed and the polishing of the terrazzo has
begun. Repair work is continuing on Elevators #4 and
#7. The final patching and touch up painting has
been finished on the 7th and 8th
Floors. The contractor has moved those crews to the
5th and 6th Floors. LSUHSC
Facilities personnel continue to make repairs and
adjustments to fan coil unit around the building.
Although not directly related to re-occupying the
building, the demolition of the interior spaces of
the 3rd and 4th Floor annex is
Here are highlights of work that has
been accomplished since our last update was posted
two weeks ago.
Lions/LSU Clinic Permanent Repairs
- Crews sanded and floated the sheetrock in
the 6th Floor hallway.
- Crews are insulating and painting walls on
the CSRB side of the 6th Floor.
- Plumbers are working above the ceiling of
the 5th Floor to install the floor
drains and waste lines for the new 6th
Floor bathrooms on the S. Prieur side of the
- They are also working on the heating hot
water main and branch on the east side of
the 6th Floor.
- Electricians are running conduit in the 5th
Floor ceiling for the new Stryker equipment that
will be installed in the Cohn Learning Center.
- Sprinkler pipe is being installed on the 6th
- The contractor removed the remaining windows
from all the floors to accommodate the
construction of the new exterior stairwell.
- The contactor is installing the door frames
in the new lab space on the 7th
- The CMU wall has been constructed on the 1st
Floor outside of the passenger elevator lobby.
- Electricians are installing the cable tray
that will run from the main electrical vault to
the new switchgear in order to prepare for the
installation of the new cable.
- Electricians are working on pulling the
copper cable to run from the Entergy vault
on the 1st Floor to the new
switchgear on the 2nd Floor.
- The mechanical sub-contractor has piped in
the new AHU on the 6th Floor on the
S. Prieur St. side of the building.
- The mechanical sub-contractor is piping in
the new AHU on the 1st Floor on the
S. Prieur St. side of the building.
- The mechanical sub-contractor is piping in
the VAV on the 6th Floor.
- Crews are removing the tile walls in all
bathrooms on the 6th Floor.
- The contractor continues insulating the
heating hot water pipe from the main to the
branch on the 6th Floor.
Dental School Laboratory
- The crews are removing wall panels and
ductwork from the affected areas on the 8th
- They are removing the old cabinets and lab
benches from Rooms 6335 and 6333.
Dental School Auditoriums A & B:
- CS & Associates finished installing the
temporary partitions and protection barriers for
the auditorium renovation project.
- CS & Associates finished removing the
existing domestic water connections in the
- The electrical sub-contractor (E & J
Electric) is removing old electrical and
- The contractor started laying-out the new
walls for the auditoriums.
Repair Work at 1542 Tulane Ave.:
- Elevator Repairs:
- The repair the work on Elevator #4 and
#7 is progressing.
- Light Wells:
- The contractor completed closing in the
light well in the old cafeteria.
- Crews completed closing in the two light
wells located in the rear of the building.
- They are dry proofing the enclosures in
the front and rear light wells.
- Lounge Areas:
- The contractor is framing up the new
walls in the 6th and 7th
- The mechanical and electrical
contractors completed installing new fan
coil units in the lounges.
- Demolition of Annex Interior:
- The crews demolishing the interiors of
the 3rd and 4th Floors
of the annex.
- Terrazzo Floors:
- The terrazzo honing contractor stripped
the wax from the hallway on the 1st
- The initial honing of the 1st
Floor hallway has been completed.
- The terrazzo honing contractor completed
the initial polishing of the 1st
Floor rear elevator lobby.
- The State Fire Marshal inspected the
areas intended for near-term occupancy and
granted partial occupancy pending the
completion of minor repairs.
- Zimmer-Eschette crews continue patching
walls, painting and working on punch list
- Floors 7 and 8 are substantially
- The crews have moved to the 5th
and 6th Floors.
- The insulation contractor continues
insulating chilled water piping in the
hallways and insulating the fan coil units
in the various offices.
- LSUHSC Facility Services personnel
continue installing new fan coil units,
removing old FCUs, and installing locksets.
- Crews completed installing portable
air conditioning units and continued
- Niscayah (formerly Securitas) continued
wiring and installing new access controls on
the 1st Floor.
- They have wired and installing
access control devices on the front
doors to the building and on the loading
dock stairwell doors.
- The painting contractor is refinishing
restroom stall doors and hallway doors
throughout the building.
- The lighting contractor installed lights
in the 7th and 8th
Floor rear elevator lobbies.
- The lighting contractor continues
installing lights on various floors
throughout the building.
- The demolition of the existing sidewalk
along Tulane Ave. is underway.
- The contractor is also working on
grading the site and laying out the new
sidewalk in front of the building.
- The contractor finished installing forms
for the new sidewalk in front of the
- They also installed rebar and wire
mesh, preparing for the concrete to be
poured next week.
- The window blind vendor delivered and
installed new blinds in various rooms.
- They began making punch list
- The Herman Miller Group set-up and
arranged new furniture in offices on the 8th
Floor in the final layout.
- LSUHSC plumbers are making preparations
for cutting out plumbing on the 3rd
and 4th Floors this weekend.
Repair Work at the Dental School:
- Permanent Roof Repairs:
- The roofing contractor continues
caulking around the windows on the 5th
Floor balcony and continues to unclog the
remaining roof drains.
- The contractor is repairing roof drain
- Needham Roofing completed the
installation of the roof exhaust vents for
the elevator penthouse on Administration
- They continue to work on punch-list
items; installing caulking and
- The nuclear moisture survey data has
- In sections of the roofs where
significant amounts of moisture were
present, the contractor began removing
the roofing materials and replacing
- Needham is installing umbrellas around
the bases of the exhaust fan supports.
Library Commons Project:
- LSUHSC Facility Services electricians
continue work on the electrical rough-in.
- They are currently working on the
rough-in for the new Coffee Kiosk.
- Auxiliary Enterprises continues rerouting
network cables to the rear offices.
- They ran new cables through the bulk
head over to the Circulation Desk side of
- They have pulled network wires through
the bulk head to feed the study area in the
- The mechanical contractor has set the HVAC
unit that will serve the Commons area in place.
- The plumbing for the unit was run
- Additional ductwork is being installed and
elevated to the highest possible position.
- LSUHSC electricians installed conduit for
the new lighting in the Café Lounge area.
- Other personnel began removing old
braces and straps from the ceiling deck.
MEB 2nd Floor Lobby Renovation:
- Crews framed in the area around Campus
Office Stores on the Bolivar/Perdido St. corner
of the building.
- The contractor framed and dry walled new
walls in the area around Medical Center Stores
on the Roman/Perdido St. side of the building.
- The contractor is taping and floating the
- Electricians installed electrical outlets to
fit in the center of the new wood wall panels.
- Crews framed the back wall where the digital
signage is going to be located.
- Preparations have been made to pour the
first layer of the new flooring over the
Residence Hall 2nd Floor
- Steel is being fabricated offsite.
- Crews are removing the spandrel glass from
the exterior wall on the Perdido St. side of the
MEB 4th Floor - MDL #5
- The contractor continues to rough-in the
plumbing (gas, air, & vacuum) for the new
- The contractor began working on the
- The contractor installed the track for the
new partition doors.
- The contractor is making penetrations for
the new plumbing.
- The contractor completed the installation of
the four quadrants of ceiling.
- The electricians completed installing light
fixtures in the main room.
- They began working on lights in the
three storage rooms.
- The contractor began relocating sprinkler
heads to accommodate the new ceiling design and
- Crews began installing new HVAC grilles and
return grilles in the ceiling grid.
Roman St. Parking Garage:
- Auxiliary Enterprises completed terminating
the new cables for security cameras.
- The old camera wires have been removed
from the security gate.
Downtown Perimeter Fence Project:
- The contractor continues to install the new
monument fences on the Poydras and Perdido
Street side of both Student Parking Lots.
- Sample concrete blocks for the decorative
fence columns are being fabricated for approval
- The back gate on Poydras Street has been
- The sample of the pre-cast concrete that
LSUHSC will evaluate has been shipped.
MEB 4th Floor Ceiling Replacement:
- The new wall angle has been installed
throughout the corridors and public areas on the
- The sheetrock for the fur down of the tray
ceiling is in place.
- Crews are taping and floating the
- The new ceiling grid continues to be
installed; approximately thirty to forty percent
of the grid is complete.
- The ceiling grid in the student lounge area
on the Roman St. side of the building is
- The grid installation was started in the
student lounge on the Bolivar St. side.
- They finished taping and floating sheetrock
ceilings in both student lounge areas.
- The contractor started relocating sprinkler
heads to accommodate the new ceiling grid in the
rear and center corridors.
Residence Hall Walkway Resurfacing:
- The contractor began work on the punch list
items, including drilling and correcting the
weep holes for drainage, installing threshold at
the double door entrance to the MEB, and cutting
and filling the expansion joint where the
walkway meets the building.
Building Trash Compactors: All of
the existing building trash compactors were
seriously damaged by the post-Katrina flood waters.
- The new trash compactor for the Resource
Center was installed.
- New trash compactors were installed at the
Lions/LSU Clinic Building and the CSRB.
- The new trash compactors were installed at
the MEB, Residence Hall and 1542 Tulane Ave.
- The new Residence Hall trash compactor was
delivered to the site.
- The new trash compactor for the Allied
Health/Nursing Building was delivered.
- The new trash compactor for the Dental
School was delivered to the site.
We encourage you to follow the
details of our progress through the daily updates
which are posted on the web site.