Smith, Vice Chancellor, Administration and Finance
Subject: Hurricane Katrina Recovery – Update #85
Posted: January 30, 2009
The preparations for reoccupying the
lower floors of the Clinical Education Building
continue. New walls for the lounge on the 2nd Floor
have been completed. The electrical wiring has been
roughed in and drywall was hung on the fur down.
Crews also framed up the walls in the 1st Floor
lounge. New fan coil units have been installed in
various locations on the 2nd and 3rd Floors.
Painting crews have been active in several locations
and the cleaning crew has begun the final cleaning
of the restrooms and hallways on the 4th Floor.
Network wiring crews are busy installing new network
drops throughout the 4th Floor. The new reception
desk has been delivered and placed on the 1st Floor.
The contractor responsible for the
Dental School auditoriums has been working on the
room that will house the new audio/visual equipment
that will serve all three of the auditoriums. The
room has been framed up and one of the Liebert
machines has been installed. Additional duct work
was installed in Auditorium A. Chilled water and
return lines and the chilled water valve were
insulated. Exit signs and the trim rings for the
recessed ceiling fixtures were installed in both
The lab renovations on the 6th and
8th Floors of the Dental Clinic Building continue to
progress. The new walls on the 8th Floor have been
primed and given two coats of finish paint. The 6th
Floor walls have been primed and painted with the
first finish coat. Ceiling grid has been installed
in all of the 8th Floor spaces and in two rooms on
the 6th Floor. Sprinkler heads are also being
The electrical subcontractor working
on the permanent repairs and mitigation at the
Lions/LSU Clinic Building moved several additional
parts of the electrical system over to the new
switch gear located on the 2nd Floor. They continued
installing conduit, junction boxes and wire to serve
the fire alarm system on the 6th Floor. The
mechanical subcontractor has been installing sinks
in the restrooms. They tested the medical gas outlet
boxes in the simulation labs and the hot water lines
on the 6th Floor. Additional supply ducts were run
and supply and return air grills were installed.
The sprinkler sub has installed
sprinkler heads in a number of the 6th Floor spaces.
They ran supply lines to the 2nd Floor stairwell and
they are installing sprinkler pipe in the new
exterior stairwell. The contractor has been
installing ceiling grid and ceiling tiles in
portions of the 6th Floor where the work above the
ceiling has been completed. Their crews are working
in restrooms installing partitions and countertops.
They have also installed the metal curtain wall on
the 1st Floor of the exterior stairwell.
The installation of the coffee kiosk
in the Library Commons area was finished during the
past two weeks. The installation of new fire alarm
wiring and junction boxes is proceeding. Many of the
new walls have been taped and floated, as has the
elevator lobby ceiling. The door frame for the main
entrance has been installed. Side diffusers are in
place in the HVAC duct work and light fixtures are
being installed in the multimedia room.
Drywall has been installed, taped
and floated on the Bolivar St. side of the MEB 2nd
Floor lobby. The contractor has also begun
installing the ceiling grid in the same area. The
renovations in MDL 6 are progressing. Walls and
columns have been repaired and floated. New ceiling
grid is being installed in the main MDL and the
floor is being leveled in preparation for the new
The demolition in the Pharmacology
labs in the MEB has been completed. The contractor
has run conduit in both the laboratory and the
administrative areas. The corridor entry doorway has
been framed up and insulation and drywall is being
installed in the laboratory area. The expansion of
the Residence Hall lobby is moving ahead. New
exterior glass has been installed and cleaned. The
old storefront has been demolished; the glass
removed, the frame disassembled and the concrete
sill removed. Inside the lobby area additional
drywall has been hung on the new soffits. They have
started removing the temporary wall.
The installation of a new automatic
door that will control access to the walkway leading
to the CSRB has begun. The new door frame is being
erected. Facility Services installed and activated
the irrigation sprinklers in the back of the
Resource Center. Crews planted new shrubs in the
planting beds. The contractor installed fence posts
in the lot at the corner of Gravier St. and S.
Claiborne Ave. Their crews continue setting the
brick pavers for the new sidewalk along Gravier St.
and at the corner of Gravier St. and S. Claiborne
Here are highlights of work that has
been accomplished during the past two weeks.
Repair Work at 1542 Tulane Ave.:
- The lighting contractor installed new
light fixtures in Rooms 111, 111A and 111B.
- The general contractor completed
painting the walls in Room 443.
- They completed painting the shipping and
receiving dock area.
- The trim and the door frame in Room 443
- The painting contractor began painting
Room 109/109A and 32 exterior doors.
- Lounge Areas:
- Wall framing in the 2nd Floor lounge was
- Crews roughed-in electrical and
installing drywall on the ceiling fur down
in the 2nd Floor lounge.
- They completed framing new walls in the
1st Floor lounge.
- The furniture vendor installed the new
reception desk in the front lobby.
- The general contractor completed
installing the ceiling grid in Room 443.
- They installed carpet and cove base in
- The mechanical contractor removed old
fan coil units and installed and connected
new units in Rooms 419 and 453.
- They continue piping new fan coil
units in rooms on the 2nd and 3rd
- The cleaning contractor began the final
cleaning of restrooms, windows and hallways
on the 4th Floor.
- The network wiring contractor started
the installation of new network drops on the
- Facility Services is installing the new
electrical conduit for exterior lighting by
the Shipping and Receiving entrance.
Dental School Auditoriums A & B:
- The electrical contractor installed trim
rings for the recessed can light fixtures in
Auditoriums A and B.
- They installed the exit signs at the
stairwell entrance to Auditoriums A and B.
- The painting contractor painted the speaker
housings and primed the entryway walls and
ceiling in Auditorium A.
- The mechanical contractor insulated the
Auditorium B air handling unit.
- They insulated the supply and return
lines for one of the Liebert units in the
- The AHU ductwork for Auditorium A was
- The chilled water valve for the
Auditorium A & B air handling units was
- The contractor installed the door frame for
the mechanical room.
Dental School 6th and 8th
Floor Lab Renovations:
- The contractor sanded and placed the second
skim coat on the walls in 6333, 6335, and Suite
- The painting contractor prepped and primed
the new walls on the 8th Floor.
- They applied a second coat of primer on
the new walls on the 8th Floor.
- The first and second coats of finish
paint have been applied on the new walls on
the 8th Floor.
- The contractor primed and applied the
first coat of paint on the walls on the 6th
- The sprinkler contractor replaced sprinkler
heads in Rooms 6333 and 6335.
- They replaced sprinkler heads in Rooms
8405A through 8405K.
- The general contractor installed ceiling
grid in Rooms 8405A, 8405B, 8405C, 8405D, 8405E,
8405F, 8405G, 8405H, 8405I, 8405J, and 8405K.
- The crews installed ceiling grid in
Rooms 6333 and 6335.
- They installed the wall angle in Room
- The contractor set the remaining light
fixtures in Suite 8405.
- Corner guards have been installed around the
columns in Room 8405B.
Lions/LSU Clinic Permanent Repairs
- The mechanical subcontractor installing
control wire to an AHU on the 6th Floor, S.
Prieur St. side.
- They tested medical gas outlet boxes in
the simulation rooms.
- Supply and return air grills were
installed on the CSRB side of the 6th Floor.
- Crews installed additional supply duct
and insulated heating hot water lines and
supply duct on the Bolivar St. side of the
- They tested the heating hot water lines
on the 6th Floor, Bolivar Street side.
- The subcontractor set sinks on the 6th
Floor, S. Prieur St. side restrooms.
- They set sinks in the 6th Floor Bolivar
St. side restrooms.
- A crew installed control wire for the
AHU on the S. Prieur Street side of the 1st
- They installed a thermostat in
electrical room on the 6th Floor.
- The mechanical subcontractor installed
storm drain pipe in the new stairwell on the
2nd and 3rd Floors.
- They installed fire dampers on the 2nd
Floor, CSRB side.
- The electrical subcontractor switched the
power sources of Riser B which serves the S.
Prieur St. electrical receptacles and lights to
the new switchgear.
- They installed electrical conduit
supports for the generator on the Bolivar
St. side chase.
- The electricians installed conduit and
junction boxes on Floors 1 through 9 for the
generator electrical lines on the Bolivar
Street side chase.
- They installed wire and junction boxes
for the fire alarm devices on the 6th Floor,
- Crews installed pipe for the emergency
power on the 6th Floor simulation labs.
- They pulled wire for fire alarm devices
on the 6th Floor, CSRB side and installed
wire for the AHU on the 6th Floor, Bolivar
- The sprinkler subcontractor installed
sprinkler heads in the 6th Floor, S. Prieur St.
- They installed sprinkler heads on the
6th Floor, CSRB/S. Prieur Street side.
- Sprinkler heads were installed in the
center of the 6th Floor.
- The sprinkler subcontractor piped from
the fire pump to distribution lines in the
2nd Floor stairwells.
- Crews began piping the distribution
lines in the new exterior stairwell.
- The general contractor installed bathroom
partitions and drywall on the Bolivar St. side
of the 6th Floor.
- A crew installed ceiling tiles on 6th
Floor, CSRB side.
- Ceiling grid was installed on the S.
Prieur St. side of the 6th Floor.
- The contractor installed wall tile on
the 1st Floor, Gravier/Bolivar Street side.
- The contractor installed metal studs,
insulation, and sheetrock for the ceiling
soffit on the 6th Floor, in the
Gravier/Bolivar St. corner.
- They installed countertops in the 6th
Floor Bolivar and S. Prieur St. side
- They installed restroom partitions in
the 6th Floor bathrooms on the Bolivar S.
- Crews removed ceiling grid and started
installing a temporary plastic barrier in
Rooms 901, 908, and 910.
- Others applied the finishing paint coat
to the 5th and 6th Floors of the new
- The contractor installed the exterior
signage on the Gravier Street side of the
- They removed the floor from the elevator
lobby on the 6th Floor, Bolivar Street side.
- Marker board trays were installed on the
- The contractor installed curtain wall
metal on the 1st Floor of the new exterior
stairwell, on the Bolivar Street side of the
Library Commons Project:
- The contractor installed sheetrock at the
stairwell and in the small multi media room.
- They taped and floated various walls in
the Library Commons area.
- The contractor taped and floated the
sheetrock ceiling in the elevator lobby and
under the window sills.
- Crews installed a wall for an emergency
- They installed the door frame for the
- The contractor installed fire alarm wiring
in the elevator lobby.
- They installed fire alarm wiring near
the window walls.
- The menu board for the coffee kiosk was
- The contractor completed the
installation of the coffee kiosk.
- Sidewall diffusers were installed in the
- LSUHSC electricians continued installing
light fixtures in the multimedia rooms.
MEB 2nd Floor Lobby Renovation:
- The contractor shimmed the window framing at
both stores locations.
- The contractor installed sheetrock on the
Bolivar Street side.
- They taped and floated sheetrock on the
Bolivar Street side of the lobby.
- The contractor installed ceiling grid on the
Bolivar St. side of the lobby.
MEB MDL 6 RENOVATIONS:
- The plaster columns in the main MDL room
were patched and painted.
- The contractor relocated sprinkler heads in
the main MDL room.
- Crews patched and floated the walls in the
panel storage room.
- The contractors continued patching and
floating the walls and installed ceiling tiles
in the main MDL room.
- The contractor began leveling the subfloor
in the main lab.
MEB PHARMACOLOGY LAB RENOVATIONS:
- The mechanical contractor capped
hot/cold/deionized water lines on the 4th Floor
below the Pharmacology labs.
- The general contractor demolished the
corridor walls in the laboratory area.
- The electrical contractor ran conduit in the
- They ran conduit in the laboratory area.
- The contractor framed the corridor opening.
- The mechanical contractor capped natural gas
lines in the laboratory and administrative
- The general contractor is installing
sheetrock and insulation in the laboratory area.
Residence Hall 2nd Floor Expansion:
- The contractor installed exterior vertical
mullion on the Perdido Street side of the lobby.
- The contractor installed sheetrock for the
soffit on the corner of S. Roman St. and Perdido
St. and on the mezzanine level between the A & B
- Crews installed sheetrock on the
mezzanine level soffit.
- They installed sheetrock for the soffit
in the corner of S. Roman and Perdido lobby.
- The contractor taped, floated and primed
the fur down in the lobby between the A & B
- Stud frames for the fur down on the
corner of Perdido and Bolivar Street side
- They installed ceiling grid hanger wire
between the A and B Towers.
- The contractors removed existing glass from
the old storefront system.
- The contractor installed the remaining
spandrel glasses on the Perdido Street side.
- They cleaned the exterior side of the
glass installed on the Perdido St. side.
- The contractors completed removing
existing frames from the old storefront
- The concrete base for the old storefront
- They installed break metal track for the
underside of the storefront and caulked the
Perdido St. perimeter.
- They have begun to remove the temporary
CSRB AUTOMATIC WALKWAY INSTALLTION:
- The contractor started the frame
installation for the automatic door.
- Facility Services installed irrigation
sprinklers and grading the planting beds in the
back of the Resource Center.
- Crews planted new shrubs in the planting
- Facility Services activated the
- The contractor installed fence posts in the
lot at the corner of Gravier St. and S.
- Their crew continues setting the brick
pavers for the new sidewalk along Gravier
St. and at the corner of Gravier St. and S.
- Facility Services installed landscape edging
in the planting bed behind the Resource Center.
RESIDENCE HALL WALKWAY RESURFACING:
- The contractor applied the first coat of
stain on the walkway surface.
We encourage you to follow the details of our
progress through the daily updates which are posted
on the web site.