Smith, Vice Chancellor, Administration and Finance
Subject: Hurricane Katrina Recovery – Update #155
Posted: November 18, 2011
A contract to construct a new Maintenance Building on the back campus of the Dental School has been advertised by the Office of Facility Planning and Control. This structure will replace two buildings that were destroyed by Hurricane Katrina and demolished some time ago. The bids are scheduled to be opened on November 22, 2011. The bid documents contemplate a construction schedule of 270 calendar days from the date of the Notice to Proceed.
The Office of Facility Planning and Control has authorized the architects to solicit proposals for the demolition of the Dog Kennel and the Vivarium located on the Dental campus. Both structures were damaged during Hurricane Katrina. Changes in the research enterprise over the ensuing years have eliminated the need for these facilities. Proposals for the demolition work were received on November 11th. Once the contract has been awarded and the contract signed, demolition should be completed within 45 calendar days of the effective date of the Notice to Proceed.
Here are highlights of work that has been accomplished during the past two weeks.
CEB PERMANENT REPAIRS & MITIGATION:
- The contractor finished constructing the CMU wall for the transformer vault.
- A new buffer was installed in the freight elevator pit.
- Crews installed conduits in the 3rd Floor corridor leading to the MEP building.
- Door frames were set in the corridor leading to the MEP building.
- The metal decking was installed on the 4th level of the MEP building.
- The contractor started installing conduit on the 3rd level of the new MEP building.
- Storm drain pipes are being installed on the 2nd level of the MEP building.
- Workers are installing the 2” steam piping line in the basement.
- The contractor removed windows in the existing building where the back corridor to the MEP building will be built.
CSRB EXHAUST UPGRADE:
- The contractor finished installing conduit for the controls of fan system #2.
- The wiring for fan systems #1 and #2 was pulled.
- Crews continued installing conduit for the controls of fan system #4.
DENTAL SCHOOL AHU REPLACEMENT:
- The new ductwork for unit 6B in the Clinic Building was pressure tested and the new unit 6B was set in place.
- The contractor continues insulating ductwork, installing ductwork transitions, and installing chill and heating hot water lines for unit 6B.
- The demolition of AHUs 6B and 6E is underway.
- Crews continued insulating the chill and heating hot water lines for units 7A.
- The contractor started up unit 7A.
- Workers continued installing the heating hot water lines, chilled water lines and outside air ductwork for unit 7D.
- The new ductwork for unit 7D is being insulated.
- The control wiring for the 2nd, 5th and 7th Floors is being run.
- The stainless steel ductwork in Room 3345 was replaced and the ductwork sealed.
- Ceiling grid and 20 light fixtures were installed in 5th Floor offices.
- Crews removed lights and ceilings as work on unit 4A gets underway.
- The contractor started removing ductwork and piping in the unit 4A mechanical room.
- The installation of the heating hot water lines in the Library is complete.
- Ductwork is being installed and insulated in the Library.
- The contractor is installing ceilings and light fixtures in ceiling of the Library.
- The VFD wiring for units L4C and L4D is being installed in the Administration Building.
- Ductwork for unit L4C is being installed.
- The contractor insulated chill and heating hot water lines for units L4C and L4D.
- Crews installed new supply ductwork for unit L4D.
- Workers began insulating the new ductwork installed for units L4C and L4D.
- Ductwork and pipe insulation was removed from the mechanical room for units L2B and L3B.
- Light fixtures were removed in preparation for replacing unit L2B.
- Old ductwork and pipe insulation was removed from the office areas of unit L2B.
- The contractor removed piping from units L2B and L3B.
- They demolished the CMU block wall in the mechanical room that houses for units L2B and L3B.
- The demolition of units L2B and L3B in the Administration Building is complete.
- Workers poured the concrete pads for the new units L2B and L3B.
DENTAL SCHOOL ADMIN 1ST FL ABATEMENT
- The contractor continued removing ductwork and insulation on the 1st Floor.
We encourage you to follow the details of our progress
through the daily updates which are posted on the