Thursday, May 22, 2008
our continuing effort to improve the quality of our facilities, we are
undertaking a series of construction projects during the summer months. Although the scope and quantity of projects
is ambitious, we will make every effort to minimize inconvenience to all. Below is our anticipated schedule with a
brief description of each project:
DATE: MONDAY, 5/26:
- MEB Lecture Rooms A and B: This project will include replacement and enhancement of Audio/Visual equipment to make it state-of-the-art. This includes a new audio system, connection to the Access Grid, recording equipment, and an enhanced lectern that allows for easy reconfiguration of A/V to suit presentation needs. It is planned to be completed in about 2 months.
DATE: TUESDAY, 5/27:
- MEB 2nd Floor Elevator Lobby Renovation: This project will convert this area into lounge seating on carpeted islands for students awaiting class or with furniture removed for receptions. It will include demolition of all surfaces, removal of Facility Services offices, and renovation to include new ceilings, walls and flooring.
- Residence Hall 2nd Floor Lobby Expansion: This project will extend and enclose the Residence Hall end of the walkway to the MEB. It will include demolition of existing flooring and exterior glass, installation of new flooring and new storefront to allow enlargement of the lobby area.
- Library Commons Renovation: This project will include the installation of interactive student study area and lounge, complete with Coffee Kiosk. There will be two study rooms with large flat screen displays with IT connections that will enable student group study or development of class projects. The entryway will also have displays for historic and artistic pieces. When complete, this space will be available 24 hours a day. Work includes demolition of all surfaces and the installation of new ceilings, flooring, lighting and furniture on the 3rd Floor from the interior stairwell to the Gravier Street side of the building.
DATE: MONDAY, 6/2:
- MEB Multidisciplinary Disciplinary Laboratory Number 5: includes demolition and replacement of floor and ceilings, lab furniture and accordion partitions.
- MEB 4th Floor Corridor Ceilings: includes demolition and replacement of corridor ceilings, including lighting, similar to work done 2 years ago on the 3rd floor corridors.
- Dental 6th and 8th Floor Lab Renovations. New labs in support of developing research enterprise at the School of Dentistry. This project includes demolition and renovation of Research Laboratory space for the Center of Excellence in Oral and Craniofacial Biology.
DATE: ABOUT JULY 1:
- Dental Auditoriums A and B: This project includes the complete upgrade and renovation of Auditoriums A and B into state-of-the-art facilities, including stepped seating area, tables wired for power and IT, new air conditioning, and replacement of ceilings, flooring, and wall coverings. New A/V equipment includes new screens, a new audio system, connection to the Access Grid, recording equipment, and an enhanced lectern that allows for easy reconfiguration of A/V to suit presentation needs.
- Downtown Perimeter Fencing: This project includes the demolition of existing chain link fencing for Residence Hall and Student Lots 1 & 2. New fencing along prominent areas will be constructed of masonry and decorative metal.
DATE: LATE JULY:
- MEB 5th Floor Research Lab and Pharmacology office renovation. This work includes demolition and replacement of walls, and installation of new lighting, technology, and lab furniture. Contract documents are nearing completion.
1542 Tulane Ave. :
- Stratos continues to install the cab roof components (device mounts, ceiling fixtures, etc.) for Elevator #7.
- Zimmer-Eschette finished prepping rooms 109H and 108 behind Elevators #1, #2, and #3.
- The areas passed visual inspection and samples were taken.
- RCC finished installing VCT and cove base in the auditorium on the 2nd Floor balcony.
- The contractor continues to paint the construction walls on Floors 1 through 4.
- Boe-Tel finished testing the phone connections in the 3rd Floor network closet.
Dental School :
- Needham Roofing prepped the metal flashing for the Clinic Building roof and will begin the installation when the weather permits.
- They have loaded material on the Administration Building roof to begin installing the granulated cap sheet on the 5th Floor balcony of the Clinic Building .
- Alfortish Enterprises completed sandblasting the surface of the stone pavers on the walkways to improve the slip resistance in rainy weather.