Institutional Animal Care and Use Committee (IACUC)
LSUHSC-NO’s Institutional Animal Care and Use Committee (IACUC) is responsible for reviewing, approving and providing oversight of all activities involving the care and use of live vertebrate animals. It is the policy of LSUHSC-NO that all projects involving live vertebrate animals or the use of animal tissue or parts must be presented to the IACUC for review, approval and oversight.
This institution complies with all federal and state laws and guidelines regarding the use of animals in research and maintains OLAW Assurance #D16-00058 (validation period 12/17/2020 - 12/31/2024) and AAALAC International Accreditation #000037 (accredited since 5/17/1968). All reported cases of potential non-compliance submitted by any source will be investigated and determination made as to whether corrective actions are necessary and/or reportable. Any compliance issue may be reported directly or anonymously to any of the DOAC veterinarians, the IACUC or through the LSUHSC-NO Hot Line for reporting suspected violations of any federal or state laws or regulations or any LSU policies at 855-561-4099 or email to email@example.com. The IACUC Non Compliance Flow Chart illustrates this process.
IACUC Application Approval Process Chart illustrates each step of your application from submission through the approval.
General instructions are given in Using IACUC Forms. *The deadline for receipt of applications in the IACUC Office is the last Monday of the month, and there will be no exceptions*. Protocols submitted after the last Monday of the month will be reviewed in the following monthly cycle. This is for the purpose of doing a thorough pre-review of the applications before they go to the committee, which will be efficeint for both investigators and reviewers. IACUC meetings are held on the third Monday of every month. Amendments and transfers are processed as received.
Apple users: If check boxes are not functional on your MAC, log into CITRIX to access applications and forms. Complete the applications while in CITRIX. Access CITRIX from the MY LSUHSC webpage: https://www.lsuhsc.edu/myLSUHSC/
- Research Protocol Application Form [Updated v10/13/2021] is used for initial research projects or 3-year renewals.
- Abbreviated Research Protocol Application Form [Updated v10/13/2021] is used for animal research conducted at another institution where LSUHSC is the primary grant holder.
- Surgery Addendum [Updated v5/23/2019] is used as an additional document with the research protocol application form when surgery will be conducted.
- Breeding Colony Application Form is used for initial breeding colonies or 3-year renewals. Updated v10/13/2021
IACUC Amendment Form
[Updated v10/13/2021] must be submitted for IACUC approval prior to making any changes.
- Change in Personnel [Updated 10/13/2021] must be submitted for IACUC approval prior to active participation on a project; all required training must be completed.
- COI Form must be filled out and included with the research application.
*Comments and suggestions in regards to the new applications can be emailed to IACUCoffice@lsuhsc.edu*