Eligibility for Health Insurance and Voluntary Benefit Plans
Any active employee of LSU is eligible for health and voluntary insurance provided the following:
- Employed at 75% of full-time effort per pay period (approx. 30 hours/week) or greater, and
- Appointed for a duration of at least one semester or 120 days or greater.
Enrollment & Effective Date of Coverage
Health, Dental, and Vision Insurance and Flexible Spending Plans
Timely Applicant: Enrolled within first 30 days of full-time employment, coverage
will be effective the first of the month following the first full calendar month of
*For example: Date of hire = August 20; Effective Date = October 1
*If not enrolled within the first 30 days of employment, enrollment may only occur during Annual Enrollment in October for an effective date of January 1 or due to a Qualifying Event. Coverage will be effective the date of the event.
- To change health insurance coverage, complete Change Benefits or Add/Remove Dependents within 30 days of the event.
- To change Dental or Vision coverage, complete Dental/Vision enrollment within 30 days of the event.
- To change Flexible Spending Accounts, complete Flexible Spending Form within 30 days of the event.
Life Insurance, Long Term Disability, Critical Illness & Long Term Care
Timely Applicant: If enrolled within first 30 days of full-time employment, coverage will be effective the first of the month following the first full calendar month of employment.
Late Applicant: If an employee did not enroll coverage within the 30 days of employment, enrollment can occur at any time, but an Evidence of Insurability Application (medical underwriting) must be completed. Effective date of coverage will be first of month after approval.
AD&D and Identity Protection
Employees can enroll, change or cancel these benefits at any time throughout the year. Any changes made will be effective the first of the month following the request.
An eligible dependent is defined as:
- The covered Employee's legal spouse;
- A Child from date of birth up to 26 years of age;
- A Child of any ages who meets the criteria for “Over-Age Dependents” in the entitled “Over-Dependents” listed below.
- An eligible Dependent during the year if a court orders the Employee to cover an eligible Dependent (e.g., a QMCSO). Coverage will take effect the first day of the month following the date of receipt by your Employer of all required forms prior to the 15th of the month, or the first day of the second month following the date of receipt by your Employer of all required forms on or after the 15th of the month.
Adding New Dependents
To add newly eligible dependents acquired through marriage, birth, or adoption, please complete Change Benefits or Add/Remove Dependents. Coverage will be effective the date of the event.
Important Note: Newborns are not automatically added to your policy. You must add the newborn as a dependent then change benefit plan(s), if applicable, in order to effectively add them to your coverage.
Spouse: An original or certified copy of marriage license indicating date and place of marriage.
Child under the age of 26: For natural or a legally adopted child of a plan member, provide a certified copy of birth certificate which lists the Plan Member as parent, or a certified copy of a legal acknowledgment of paternity signed by Plan Member, or certified copy of adoption decree naming Plan Member as adoptive parent.
Stepchild: A certified copy of a marriage license for the spouse and a birth certificate listing that spouse as natural or adoptive parent.
Child placed with your family for adoption by agency or irrevocable act of surrender for private adoption: Certified copy of adoption placement order showing date of placement, or copy of signed and dated irrevocable act of surrender.
Child for whom the Plan Member has been granted legal custody: A certified copy of signed legal judgment granting legal guardianship or custody.
*Over-age Dependents: If a dependent child is incapable (and became incapable prior to attainment of age 26) of self-sustaining employment by reason of mental retardation or physical incapacity, and is dependent upon the covered Employee for support, the coverage for the Dependent Child may be continued for the duration of incapacity.
- Prior to the Dependent Child reaching age 26, an application for continued coverage with current medical information from the Dependent Child's attending Physician must be submitted to the Plan Administrator to establish eligibility for continued coverage as set forth above. The Plan Administrator, in its discretion, may consider applications and attending Physician's information submitted after the Child reaches age 26, if the application and information indicate that the Child's incapacity was present prior to the Child reaching age 26, but was not apparent or diagnosed until after the Child reached age 26.
- Upon receipt of the application for continued coverage, the Plan Administrator may require additional medical documentation regarding the Dependent's Child as often as he may deem necessary thereafter.
In order to edit/delete a dependent, please complete Change Benefits or Add/Remove Dependents, within 30 days for any of the following events:
- Divorced spouse and/or step-children
- Deceased spouse or child
- Child over the age of 26
- Dependent gains other coverage
Change or Correct Name, Address, and/or Date of Birth
Please complete Modify Personal Information form to change name*, address, or date of birth**.
*Name change: Your name can be changed in PeopleSoft, but must match the name on your social security card. Please provide proper documentation to HR for verification.
**Date of Birth change: DOB can be changed in PeopleSoft, but must match DOB on a legal document (i.e. Driver's License). Please provide proper documentation to HR for verification.
Termination of Benefits
Your health and/or voluntary insurance coverage under any of the plans will end on the earliest of the following dates:
- On the last day of the month in which your employment terminates
- On the last day of the month in which you elect to cancel coverage
- On the last day of the month of the covered employee's death (see Surviving Spouse or Dependent section below)
To continue your medical coverage after termination of employment or after becoming ineligible for coverage, please see our page on Insurance Benefits at Termination.
To continue your medical coverage during retirement, please see our section about Retiree Benefits.
Surviving Spouse or Dependent
Upon your death, your surviving legal spouse may continue his/her health insurance coverage by completing an application within 60 days of your death and paying the applicable monthly premium. Coverage would be effective the first of the month following the event.
Your surviving dependent children may continue coverage until they are no longer eligible as a dependent on health plans offered by LSU. If your surviving spouse or dependent becomes eligible for group health insurance elsewhere, they will no longer be eligible for coverage as a surviving spouse or dependent.