Smith, Vice Chancellor, Administration and Finance
Subject: Hurricane Katrina Recovery – Update #89
Posted: March 27, 2009
On March 17, 2009 we met with Mr.
Charlie Axton and representatives of GOHSEP
regarding our hazard mitigation proposals that were
deemed ineligible by FEMA late in 2008. Mr. Axton is
a senior FEMA official who was appointed by
Secretary Napolitano to head up an independent
"decision team". The challenge for that team was to
seek rapid resolutions to many of the issues that
have slowed the recovery from Hurricanes Katrina and
We have just been informed that the
Unified Public Assistance Project Decision Team has
prepared an Eligibility Decision document based on
our 3/17/2009 briefing. Each of the points which we
challenged and which were core to the original
determinations of ineligibility were decided in our
favor. We are very pleased with the results and are
cautiously optimistic that this will allow our
hazard mitigation proposals related to the permanent
repairs of our major buildings to be re-visited and
approved. GOHSEP will soon meet with FEMA to
determine how we will proceed. We will keep you
informed of our progress.
We have been making concerted
efforts to finish up a number of the projects that
have been underway for some time. The renovation
project in MDL 6 is substantially complete. The
floors have been stripped and waxed. The contractor
is completing the various punch list items and the
final clean up is being done.
We have been pushing to have the
next phase of reoccupation of the Clinical Education
Building completed by the end of April. This will
allow the 3rd and 4th Floors of the front portions
of the building to be put back into use by clinical
faculty and staff. Furniture is being put in place
and arranged on the 3rd Floor. Workers continued
demolishing the plaster ceiling in Rooms 341, 342
and 343. Three more fan coil units are in place on
the 3rd Floor.
Work on the 1542 Tulane St.
elevators 1, 2 and 3 is substantially complete and
Facility Planning and Control inspected the work of
the contractor. The final inspection by the State
Elevator Inspector will be scheduled within 30 days.
Work on the 1st and 2nd Floor lounges is
progressing. The rough in work in the 2nd Floor
lounge has been finished and crews are hanging
drywall. The rough in electrical work is underway in
the 1st Floor lounge and the new glass wall leading
from the hallway has been installed and trimmed out.
The painting in Rooms 109H, 111, and 111A was been
finished and the ceiling work in Room 111 completed.
We are encouraging the Lions/LSU
Clinic contractor to finish the work on the 6th
Floor and allow us to have constructive occupancy
within the next month. This would allow us to
complete the configuration and set up of the Cohn
Learning Center and have it ready for use with the
beginning of the new academic year this fall.
Carpet and vinyl floor tile is being
installed on the 1st and 6th Floor of the Lions/LSU
Clinic Building. Ceiling grid and ceiling tile is
going up as spaces are prepared. Medical air, gas
and vacuum lines in the simulation labs have been
tested and are being connected to the appropriate
Stryker equipment. The Stryker equipment is being
connected to the 5th Floor rack that houses the
Stryker computers and communications equipment.
Lights have been installed above the receptionist
desk and in the computer lounge. The counter tops
are in place in the 6th Floor computer lounge. Exit
signs are being hung in appropriate locations.
Network wiring racks and cable trays have been
installed in the 6th Floor network closet and the
new voice and data cable is being installed. The
work to dry flood proof the freight elevator shaft
on the 1st Floor has begun. Exterior granite has
been installed on most levels of the new exterior
stairwell and the roof is being installed. Painting
and the installation of finish trim is underway in
several areas. The 1st Floor restroom doors have
We are also working to have the
Library Commons project completed within the next 30
days or so. All of the ceiling baffles have been
installed throughout the Library Commons area. Two
additional custom furniture bases and the magazine
rack are in place in the study area. Ceiling trim
for the wood ceilings has been installed. The lights
and shelving are being installed in the display
cases. The plumbing and electrical wiring of the
coffee kiosk is substantially complete.
Renovations to the MEB Pharmacology
lab spaces have progressed quickly and should be
completed in the near future. The floors have been
leveled and floated. Tile has been installed in the
lab area. Sprinkler heads have been adjusted to suit
the new ceiling layout and the fire alarms are in
place. The HVAC diffusers have been installed and
the exhaust duct work in the corridor has been
The wall mounted light fixtures in
Auditoriums A & B at the Dental School have been
mounted and the ballasts are being connected. Doors
and return air louvers have been installed in the
AHU room, and old sprinkler pipe was removed.
The cabinet installers working in
the 6th and 8th Floor Dental laboratories installed
the remaining counter tops and back splashes for the
peninsulas in Suites 8405A and 8405B. The electrical
receptacles have been installed in the peninsulas.
Network wiring was installed and the terminals and
cover plates are in place. Medical air, gas and
vacuum valves have been installed on the 8th Floor.
New fire alarm devices are being installed and
connected on both the 6th and 8th Floors. The fume
hood utilities have been connected in Room 6335 and
the plumbing connections are finished on the 8th
Floor. The new doors are in place on the 6th Floor
and the window glass has been installed in the
windows and doors in Suite 8405 and selected 8th
The contractor continues to hang
light fixtures in the 2nd Floor lobby of the MEB.
Fire sprinklers have been tested and damaged sheet
rock is being repaired. Power has been connected to
the automatic doors and new electrical outlets are
in place along the walls. Lights were installed in
the area between the two automatic doors.
The contractor has begun to relocate
sprinkler heads in the expanded lobby area of the
Residence Hall. Electricians roughed in for the new
fire alarm devices and smoke detectors. The fur down
in the rear lobby area of Tower A has been framed,
dry walled, taped and floated. The linear diffusers
have been installed in the same area. The mezzanine
level fur down has been framed. Plenum boxes have
been installed along the new storefront wall. The
plaster walls in the Tower A and C lobby areas have
been patched and skim coated.
The replacement of the roof on the
Allied Health/Nursing Building was recently
interrupted by the threat of heavy rains. Before
work was suspended, the old roofs were removed from
the stair and elevator penthouses and the new
roofing system was installed over both penthouses.
Work will resume as the weather clears.
Here are highlights of work that has
been accomplished during the past two weeks.
MEB MDL 6 RENOVATIONS:
- The general contractor stripped and waxed
- Crews are working on punch list items.
- The general contractor is completing the
- This project is substantially complete.
Repair Work at 1542 Tulane Ave.:
- The painting contractor completed
painting offices on the 2nd Floor.
- The general contractor completed work in
Rooms 109H, 111 and 111A.
- They completed the ceiling work in Room
- Lounge Areas:
- The glass contractor installed the new
glass wall leading from the lobby into the
1st Floor lounge.
- They completed the trim work of the
new glass wall in the lounge.
- The electrical contractor continued the
electrical rough-in in the 1st Floor lounge.
- Workers are hanging drywall in the 2nd
- The elevator contractor had the final
inspection on Elevators 1, 2, and 3 with
Facility Planning and Control.
- An inspection by the State Elevator
Inspector will be scheduled in the next 30
- The furniture vendor relocated modular
furniture and surveyed the 2nd and 3rd
Floors in preparation for installing
- Workers continued demolishing the
plaster ceiling in Rooms 341, 342 and 343.
- The mechanical contractor installed a
new fan coil units in Room 341, Room 342 and
- A crew began making wall repairs in
Rooms 235K and 235M.
LIONS/LSU CLINIC PERMANENT REPAIRS
- The general contractor installed kitchen and
mail room cabinets on the 6th Floor.
- Carpet was installed on the S. Prieur
St. side of the 6th Floor.
- They installed carpet in the large
conference room, floor tile in the elevator
lobby on the 6th Floor and VCT flooring in
the hallways between the simulation rooms.
- Additional floor tile was installed in
the 6th Floor computer lounge
- Ceiling tile was installed on the 6th
Floor Bolivar/Gravier Street side.
- The contractor installed the ceiling
grid in the 1st Floor elevator lobbies.
- The contractor installed concrete forms
for the freight elevator flood proofing
- They began installing block walls in the
freight elevator shaft on the 1st Floor.
- The contractor installed the fire rated
wall on the 5th Floor for the new stairwell.
- The contractor installed laminate on the
fur down above the work stations in the
computer lounge area.
- Workers installed the window frames by
the new stairwell door on the 6th Floor
Gravier Street side.
- The contractor installed glass in the
storefront wall between the computer lounge
and the new stairwell.
- The contractor installed the elevator
- Crews installed cove base in the 6th
Floor conference rooms on the CSRB side.
- Workers hung restroom doors on the 1st
Floor, Bolivar and S. Prieur Street sides.
- Crews installed countertops in the 6th
Floor computer lounge.
- Workers installed exterior granite on
the 1st, 2nd, 3rd, 4th and 5th levels of the
- The contractor began installing the roof
of the new stairwell.
- Workers began painting the plaster walls
on the 1st Floor, CSRB side.
- Workers plastered the 1st Floor restroom
walls on the Bolivar Street side of the
- The mechanical contractor soldered the pipes
for the medical air/gas/vacuum ceiling boxes in
the simulation rooms.
- They tied in the medical air/gas/vacuum
to the Stryker equipment in the simulation
- The medical air/gas/vacuum lines in the
simulation rooms were successfully tested.
- Workers installed the building
management system in the 6th Floor Bolivar
Street side mechanical room.
- The mechanical contractor installed
copper tubing to control the chilled water
valves for the AHU on the 6th Floor, Bolivar
- The electrical contractor installed control
wire for the new generator.
- They wired the fire pump controller to
the motor and ran conduit from the jockey
pump to panel AC2A.
- Workers pulled wire from the jockey pump
to panel AC2A.
- Light fixtures and exit signs were
installed in the 6th Floor computer lounge
- Workers installed lights above the
- They installed wire mold in the control
rooms and the computer lounge.
- Electricians installed cable for Stryker
equipment from the control rooms to the 5th
Floor Stryker rack.
- They are wiring the Stryker boom and
boom lighting in the operating room on the
- Electricians installed floor boxes in
the southwest simulation room.
- Workers installed the racks and cable
tray in the 6th Floor network closet.
- A crew is running data and voice cables
on the new racks and cable tray in the 6th
Floor network closet.
- The electrical contractor terminated
phone wires at the patch panels in the 6th
Floor telephone/data closet.
- Workers are removing the existing
underground feeder cables from the old 1st
Floor switchgear room.
- Conduit for the new stairwell lighting
- Lights are being installed on the
exterior stairs on the S. Prieur Street
- The contractor load tested the roof top
- The sprinkler subcontractor installed
sprinkler heads in the Directors office.
- Stryker began installing the boom in the
LIBRARY COMMONS PROJECT:
- The contractor completed installing the new
- They installed the magazine rack in the
- The installation of the ceiling trim for the
wood ceilings was completed.
- Two additional custom furniture bases were
installed in the study area.
- The fire extinguisher cabinet was installed
in the Womens restroom.
- The contractor continued constructing the
display case in the elevator lobby.
- The contractor installed shelving in the
new display cases.
- LSUHSC Facility Services electricians
began installing light fixtures inside the
new display cases.
- The contractor installed all of the
display cases and decorative screens in the
- LSUHSC Facility Services personnel plumbed
and wired coffee kiosk equipment.
- They continued installing light switches
and completed the plumbing work.
MEB PHARMACOLOGY LAB RENOVATIONS:
- The contractor completing installing exhaust
ductwork in the corridor.
- Workers installed diffusers in the lab
- They modified sprinkler heads in the lab
- Workers painted walls in the administrative
- Crews floated the floors in the lab area and
the administrative area (being converted into
- The flooring contractor installed VCT in
the lab area.
- The contractor continued roughing in the
plumbing and med gas for the administrative area
(which is being converted to lab space).
- The contractor installed fire alarms in the
- The contractor installed the sheetrock
ceiling for the animal care room.
MEB 2nd FLOOR LOBBY RENOVATIONS:
- The contractor continued installing light
fixtures throughout the lobby.
- Workers patched damaged sheetrock.
- The sprinklers on the 2nd Floor have been
- Electricians continue installing outlets
along the walls and lights in the area between
the two automatic doors.
- The contractor moved receptacles in the
walls for the wall panel installation and
provided the power to the automatic doors.
DENTAL AUDITORIUMS A & B
- The sprinkler contractor removed existing
- The electrical contractor installed the
wall-mounted light fixtures in Auditoriums A and
- The electrical contractor wired the ballasts
for the wall-mounted light fixtures in
- The general contractor installed the door
for the AHU room in Auditorium B.
- The mechanical contractor installed the
return air louver for the AHU room in
Auditoriums A and B.
DENTAL 6th & 8th FLOOR LAB
- The cabinet installers installed the
remaining counter tops for the peninsulas in
Suites 8405A and 8405B.
- They installed the backsplash for the
peninsulas in Suites 8405A and 8405B.
- The network wiring crew installed the
network wiring in Rooms 8405H, 8405I, and 8405J.
- They installed networking terminals and
cover plates for the network drops in Suite
- The electrical contractor installed
receptacles for the peninsulas in Suites 8405A
- They installed boxes and conduit for the
new fire alarm devices in Suite 8405.
- The wiring for the new fire alarm
devices in Suite 8405 and Room 6335 was
- The fire alarm contractor installed the new
fire alarm devices in Suite 8405.
- They installed the new fire alarm
devices in Room 6335.
- The mechanical contractor installed safety
showers in Rooms 8405A and 8405B.
- They connected the fume hood utilities
in Room 6335.
- Plumbers installed sink connections in
Rooms 8405A and 8405B.
- The contractor installed ductwork to the
fume hood on the 8th Floor.
- Medical air, gas and vacuum valves were
installed on the 8th Floor.
- Plumbers connected plumbing utilities
for the fume hood in Room 8405H.
- The general contractor installed the window
glass for the doors in Suite 8405 and windows in
Rooms 8405I & 8405K.
- They installed the 6th Floor doors.
- Crews cleaned the floors and cabinets,
and applied touch-up paint on the walls in
Suite 8405 and Rooms 6333 and 6335.
RESIDENCE HALL LOBBY EXPANSION:
- The contractor framed and dry walled the fur
down in the back lobby area of Tower A.
- Workers taped and floated the fur down.
- The interior contractor framed the fur down
in the mezzanine level between the B & C Towers.
- The contractor began relocating sprinkler
- The power and access control devices were
removed from the old entrance.
- Workers patched and skim coated the plaster
wall in the A and C Tower lobby areas.
- Linear diffusers were installed near the
back lobby of Tower A.
- The electrical contractor roughed in for
fire alarms and smoke detectors in the expanded
- The mechanical contractor installed plenum
boxes along the storefront wall in the extended
DENTAL SCHOOL BOILER INSTALLATION:
- The contractor installed relief valves for
the new boiler.
ALLIED HEALTH/NURSING ROOF
- The contractor removed the lightweight
concrete roofing system from the elevator
penthouse and installed the foam insulation.
- Crews installed the first ply of the new
roofing material on the elevator penthouse.
- They removed the old roofing system from the
stair penthouse and installed the insulation.
- The installation of the two-ply roof on the
elevator penthouse and the stairwell penthouse
- The contractor suspended work. The roof is
currently sealed and protected from the heavy
rains forecast for the next few days and into
- LSUHSC Facility Services installed sod in
the back of the Resource Center building.
- Workers removed existing vegetation in the
rear of the Resource Center along S. Prieur
- Facility Services installed irrigation
piping in the rear of the Resource Center along
S. Prieur St.
We encourage you to follow the details of our
progress through the daily updates which are posted
on the web site.