Modern Authentication Transition
If you are using the native Mail and Calendar applications for iOS and Android, you may be using Basic Authentication. Basic Authentication was disabled on March 16, 2021 at 9:00 a.m. to improve security.
In order to migrate to Modern Authentication you need to:
- Step 1: Delete your current Basic Authentication configuration in iOS and Android
- Step 2: Take either of the following actions:
- Option 1: Migrate to Outlook Mobile app for iOS and Android (recommended)
- Option 2: Reconfigure your account inside of the iOS and Android native apps to use Modern Authentication
- Instructions for both options can be found here.
What is Modern Authentication?
Modern Authentication is a method of identity management that offers more secure user authentication and authorization.
Why is Basic Authentication being disabled?
Basic Authentication means the application sends a username and password with every request (often stored or saved on the device). Modern Authentication is a more secure method to authenticate users and supports features that enable transition and enforcement of Multi-Factor Authentication (MFA).
How do I know if I am using Basic Authentication?
You will be contacted by your supporters if you have devices that are using Basic Authentication.