Optimizing Images for the Web
It is important to optimize images for web viewing. Optimized image files save room on web servers and decrease web page load times.
Web Optimized Image Guidelines
- Acceptable image formats:
- Images should be set to 72 ppi (pixels per inch)
- Images should be saved as the same size that they are set to display on the web page
- For example an image that is set to display with a width of 500px should be saved as a 500px image on the web server.
- An image's aspect ratio should always be maintained.
- Maintaining aspect ratios keeps images from looking stretched/skewed on the web.
Tools for Optimizing Images
There are many services and programs that can be used to optimize images for the web. One free program is IrfanView (http://www.irfanview.com/)