Microsoft Office 365
Who will use Microsoft Office 365?
As of Sunday, November 13, 2016, email mailboxes for students admitted on or after the fall of 2016 will use email services hosted by Microsoft Office 365. Students will use their email address (email@example.com) as their username when logging in to Office 365. The password is the same password used on-premises to authenticate to a computer desktop or website.
What is Microsoft Office 365? Why does everyone refer to it as the cloud?
Microsoft Office 365 is a collection of software services, including Exchange Online email services, hosted by Microsoft. These services are accessed through internet connections even when you are on the LSUHSC network. Internet-based services, such as Office 365, are often referred to as "the cloud". Since both LSUHSC on-premises mail services and Microsoft Office 365 provide mail services using Exchange server, there will be few differences which will help ease transition. Microsoft’s Office 365 implementation is larger and more geographically dispersed providing improved business continuity for LSUSHC email.
OK, I’m a new student as of the fall of 2016 so my mailbox is in Office 365. How is this different, and what should I expect?
Most features will work the same whether your mailbox is in Office 365 or on-premises. Here are some important similarities and differences:
- During the migration of your mailbox to Office 365, select versions of older Android devices may lose connectivity to email. Please recreate your ActiveSync profile. If prompted for a server name, enter outlook.office365.com
- There are significant differences in the way that email archiving works compared to on-premises email archiving. Review instructions for using email archiving in Office 365.
- Outlook Web App has some differences which we’ve documented here.
- If needed, you can continue to change your password at https://www.lsuhsc.edu/changepassword/
- Although faculty and most student mailboxes are not yet in Office 365, you will still see a full list of all LSUHSC recipients in the Global Address Book.
- An internet connection is required for connectivity to Office 365 even while on the LSUHSC network. If you are unable to access your email, please verify that your internet connection is working properly.
- Continue to contact your local computer supporter or the IT Help Desk for support.