Environmental Health and Safety

Waste Disposal Procedures


To ensure compliance with federal, state, and local regulatory agencies and guidelines, follow the procedures for waste management and disposal below. 

No chemical, radiological or pharmaceutical waste materials shall be discarded via the sanitary sewer system.  Liquid biological materials which are treated in accordance with the below Biological Waste procedures may be discarded through the sink.  


Hazardous and nonhazardous chemical wastes are generated by a variety of activities at LSUHSC.  Proper handling and disposal of hazardous chemical wastes reduces the threat to human health and the environment.  Follow the requirements and guidance found within the Chemical Waste Management Procedures for disposal of all chemical wastes.  Requests for collection of Chemical Wastes can be made via the On-Line service request work order system

Universal Waste

Universal waste is a subcategory of hazardous waste consisting of batteries, pesticides, mercury-containing equipment, and lamps (light bulbs).  The University recognizes that there are potential hazards associated with universal waste materials and requires their disposal to be managed through the Environmental Health and Safety Department.  Requests for collection of Universal Wastes can be made via the On-Line service request work order system

In the event of a broken lamp or bulb, please follow the Clean-up procedures for broken fluorescent lamps.

Computers, printers, and monitors must be returned to Asset Management.  Prior to returning a computer, the hard drive must be wiped by Computer Services or your department’s IT specialist.  Assistance and information for returning used electronics can be found at the Asset Management webpage.

Pharmaceuticals and Controlled Substances

Pharmaceuticals used for research shall be collected and disposed as hazardous chemical waste (described above). Requests for collection of pharmaceutical wastes can be made via the On-Line service request work order system.

Controlled substances are chemicals scheduled with the U.S. Drug Enforcement Administration (DEA), and it is the responsibility of the license holder to appropriately dispose of these materials via the proper reverse-distribution channels.  Visit the following website for a comprehensive listing of controlled substance agents: https://www.deadiversion.usdoj.gov/schedules/.


Biological waste (including gloves and rDNA materials) must be placed inside of a biohazard cardboard box, lined with a biohazard plastic red liner bag by the generator of the material.  Boxes must be packed with care, paying attention to weight (less than 30 lbs.) and volume (less than 4/5th full).  Once packing criteria is met, the box must be taped to prevent accidental opening.  Each box identified for disposal should be labeled with the following legible and visibly printed information: BUILDING NAME, ROOM NUMBER, GENERATOR’S NAME and PHONE NUMBER.  Once the box is properly secured and labeled, place in the hallway, or designated pick up location, such as against a wall outside of the lab or centralized space for daily pickup by Environmental Health and Safety personnel.  Open bioboxes are not to be stored in common areas such as hallways, etc.

Environmental Health and Safety provides replacement biohazard boxes.  Generators can find replacement supplies at designated locations within the Medical Education Building, Clinical Science Research Building, and School of Dentistry.  Regarding lab spaces, each should have no more than 2 bioboxes at a time, one for current use and one as a backup.  If a PI has more than one lab space, each space producing biohazardous waste is allowed one for use and a backup.  An inventory sign out sheet is located at each deployment location and should be accurately completed each time replacement biohazard boxes are collected.  Research spaces that are given special permission to take a larger quantity of boxes are still required to fill out the sheet.  

Biological waste containing viable cultures of microorganisms must be autoclaved prior to disposal.  Potentially infectious biohazard liquid waste must be autoclaved or inactivated by an appropriate amount of disinfectant.  After disinfection, liquid wastes rendered noninfectious may be disposed of by the sanitary sewer system.  Alternatively, once rendered noninfectious, small quantities (less than 25 mL) of liquid biohazardous wastes that are BSL-1 or BSL-2 may be sealed in plastic leak-proof labware and disposed of in a biohazard box. 

Pathology wastes (including animals used for research) must be disposed via Animal Care pathology containers.  The containers must be legibly labeled with the words PATHOLOGY WASTE, the ROOM NUMBER of origin, and the RESEARCHER’S NAME.   

SHARPS must be disposed of in designated sharps containers, labeled with a universal biohazard symbol or red colored container.  When the container is ¾ full, snap the lid shut, tape the container closed, and place within a bio-hazard waste box.  Ensure that the container is not overfilled and able to close without protrusions.  SHARPS containers are available for purchase through LSUHSC Medical Stores.


Radiation wastes (liquid containers and solid dry waste cardboard boxes) are collected by EH&S every Tuesday.  Request pickup using the On-Line service request work order system.  Requests for pickup must include a short description of contents being collected (type and amount of liquid and/or dry waste and location of waste storage), permit holders' name, telephone number, building and room number, and, as needed, request for replacement waste containers. 

Radiation waste record forms  should be filled out prior to pick up and taped on the collected waste container.  Waste quantities should be listed in Micro or Milli-curies.

Mixed Waste

The term “mixed waste” refers to liquid or solid wastes that contain both radioisotopes and one or more hazardous chemicals meeting the EPA’s definition of a hazardous waste.  It also includes solid, radioactive oxidizers such as thorium nitrate and uranium nitrate.

Labelling for mixed waste needs to include chemical entities along with the Radiation waste record forms.  Requests for collection of Mixed Waste can be via the On-Line service request work order system.  Your request for pickup request must include a short description of contents being collected (type and amount of liquid and/or dry waste and location of waste storage), permit holders' name, telephone number, building and room number, and, as needed, request for replacement waste containers.


Glass waste shall be placed in a glass waste box with a plastic liner.  All glass waste should be dry, with no toxic residue.  Boxes should be packed with care, paying attention to weight (less than 15 lbs) and volume (less than 4/5th full).  The box should be taped to prevent accidental opening and be labeled with, in visible and legible writing, the researcher's name, department, building and room number, phone number, and "GLASS WASTE".  Once properly closed and labeled, the box should be placed in the corridor along the wall for collection by the custodians.

To request liners and cardboard boxes to use for glass waste, use the On-Line service request work order system. While inputting your request, please use the "short description" text box to inform of the location where you would like the supplies to be delivered.


For additional assistance or questions regarding waste management and disposal contact EH&S at 504-568-6585 or safety@lsuhsc.edu.