Medical Innovation Design Studio
OIP has created a new unit to assist LSU Health faculty, staff, and students more fully describe and design their ideas for healthcare-related device/software innovations- the Medical Innovation Design Studio (MIDS). If you have come up with an idea for a new medical device, app, or other healthcare-related innovation, but are unsure what steps to take next, a consultation with MIDS could provide you with the momentum you need to come one step closer to a market-ready product. Two experienced LSU Health physician-innovators, our Designers-in-Residence, will work with you to optimize early designs or rough prototypes.
Our Designers-in-Residence are Dr. Michael Dunham and Dr. Rohan R. Walvekar. Both have disclosed several medical device-related technologies to OIP and have experience with computer-aided design, prototyping, basic software coding, and entrepreneurship.
NOTE: MIDS is not intended to assist innovators with ideas for new therapeutics, diagnostics, or non-device-related research materials.
- Medical instrument or device concept and design
- Computer-aided design (CAD) modeling and specifications
- Basic software development
- Insight during the patent drafting process to help put forth a comprehensive description and capabilities of the innovation
- Leverage existing contacts in relevant industries
- A partnership with LSU A&M through the College of Engineering for engineering design and R&D consultation opportunities along with the Manufacturing, Fabrication, and Prototyping services of the Advanced Manufacturing and Machining Facility (AMMF) of the Mechanical & Industrial Engineering Department, which include:
- Computer numerical control (CNC) machining
- 3D Printing in metals, ceramics, various plastics and composites
- Electric discharge machining (EDM)
- Micro-milling and Micro-fabrication (down to 5 microns in a broad range of materials)
- Consultation on manufacturability and materials selection
How to Contact
If you’re interested in a consultation with MIDS, please send an email with a brief description of the services you’re seeking and a basic description of your innovation to email@example.com. After an initial evaluation, you’ll be contacted by OIP or one of our Designers-in-Residence to schedule a consultation.