I am in the National Guard. How do I use my tuition exemption?

Tuition exemption is NOT a GI Bill program. This is a state program for the Louisiana National Guard. To use this benefit, you must contact your full-time Unit Readiness NCO and the State Education Service Office. They will then send notification to LSUHSC, Student Financial Aid Office. It is YOUR responsibility to visit the Student Financial Aid Office to have this benefit applied to your account. The VA Certifying Official at LSUHSC will not take care of this for you. More information about the program is available here.

State Dependent Exemption (Title 29)

This is NOT a GI Bill benefit, it is a Louisiana Department of Veterans Affairs (LVDA) program.

This benefit provides educational assistance to dependents of certain veterans of the state of Louisiana:

  • Children and surviving spouses of veterans who died in service in the Armed Forces of the United States or died of a service connected disability incurred during a wartime period.
  • Children of living veterans who are rated 90% or above disabled, including 100% individual unemployability, by the U.S. Department of Veterans Affairs "Schedule for Rating Disabilities," as a result of a disability or disabilities incurred in service in the Armed Forces of the United States.
  • Eligible students are exempt from paying tuition and school-imposed fees. Student-imposed fees are not exempt.

For more information about the program or to apply for Title 29 contact your local Parish Veterans Service Office .  For additional information you may also visit the LVDA website.

Eligible students will receive a Fee Exemption Certificate from the Louisiana Department of Veteran Affairs bearing the department's seal.  You must submit the original certificate to LSUHSC Student Financial Aid Office to receive the exemption. They can be reached via email at finaid@lsuhsc.edu  or telephone: (504) 568-4820 or fax: (504) 599-1390.