Veterans Affairs

Military Personnel

A. Temporary Residents

An individual on active duty in the Armed Forces currently stationed in Louisiana may be classified as a “Temporary Resident” upon submission of an appropriate statement signed by the unit commander verifying his/her being on active duty and stationed in Louisiana. For the purpose of this memorandum, current membership in a National Guard Unit shall be construed as “active duty in the Armed Forces.” The classification of “Temporary Resident” is valid as long as the student remains enrolled.

A member of the Armed Forces currently stationed in Louisiana on active duty may enroll any of his/her dependents as “Temporary Residents.” A member of the Armed Forces who was eligible for classification as a resident of Louisiana under these regulations immediately prior to entering the Armed Forces retains the right to enroll himself/herself and any of his/her dependents as residents as long as he/she is in the Armed Forces and for a five-year period after separation from service.

When a member of the military who has a spouse or dependent enrolled as a “Temporary Resident” is transferred out of the state, the temporary resident may continue to attend under this classification as long as he/she remains in this State.

B. Certain Recent Veterans and Members of Reserve Units

In accordance with the provisions of La. R.S. 17:2137(E), a student who (1) is enrolled in or is applying for enrollment in a Louisiana public college or university and (2) who physically resides in Louisiana for the duration of his enrollment in a state public institution of postsecondary education, (3) who has served in the armed forces of the United States and (4) meets one of the requirements below is entitled to resident classification for tuition purposes without regard to the length of time of residency in the state.1

A student must meet at least one of the following conditions to qualify for resident classification for tuition purposes:

The student has served on active duty for a continuous period of no less than two years and has received an Honorable Discharge, as verified by a United States of America Department of Defense Form 214, within one year of enrolling in a Louisiana public college or university.

The student is currently serving in a Reserve Component of the armed forces of the United States as verified by a memorandum from his or her commanding officer.

The student has been assigned a service-connected disability by the United States Department of Veteran Affairs.

It shall be the responsibility of each campus in the LSU System to develop the appropriate policy and procedure for the implementation of this section of this Permanent Memorandum.