Office of International Services

Contact us:

Monday-Friday 8:30a.m.-4:00p.m.
2nd floor (206B) of the Resource Center Building (433 Bolivar Street).
(504) 568-4802


The content on these pages is designed for use by LSUHSC-New Orleans sponsored students, exchange visitors and employees. It is not intended to constitute legal advice and is not a substitute for legal counsel.


F-1 Students

Students who are not U.S. Citizens or Permanent Residents (or currently in another status permitting study) who wish to come the United States to pursue a full course of study leading to a degree may do so in F-1 status. F-1 status is a non-immigrant status.

To obtain documents for F-1 status sponsored by LSU Health Sciences Center New Orleans, a prospective student must:

  • Be unconditionally admitted to the School providing their program of study/degree; (International Services is not involved in the admissions process!)

  • Document that they are able to pay all tuition and fees associated with their degree program and the living expenses for themselves and their dependents; (Go here for a current list of tuition cost and fees for each School and Program.)

  • Provide copies of valid passport/travel documents for themselves and their dependents;

  • Provide copies of current immigration documents, if present in the United States;

Foreign national students who have been unconditionally admitted to a degree program and will apply for F-1 status through LSU Health Sciences Center New Orleans should complete an International Student Application Kit. A completed application kit and all required supporting documentation should be returned to the admitting School's Program Coordinator so a request can be made for International Services to issue a Form I-20. A Form I-20 will allow a prospective student (and any dependents) to apply for an entry visa at a United States Consulate abroad or, if visa exempt, admission at a Port of Entry or to request a Change of Status from USCIS.

Transfers: Students who are already in the U.S. in  F-1 student status at another SEVP institution will also need a completed F-1 Student Transfer In form submitted with their International Student Application Kit.

If all requirements are met, and an I-20 form is issued for a student, International Services will provide additional instructions for navigating the visa and entry process, if applicable.  Those instructions and details are also available here.

Initial entry: F-1 students are permitted to enter the United States up to thirty (30) days prior to the report date or program start date indicated on their Form I-20. (See 8CFR 214.2(f)(5)(i))

Grace period: F-1 students are permitted a 60 day grace period following the program completion date listed on their most recent I-20 or the end date on their Post Completion OPT EAD card. During this 60 day period:

  • the student's SEVIS record remains active

  • the student is permitted to change their education level (Bachelor's to Master's, Master's to Doctorate) or start another educational program

  • the student is permitted to transfer their SEVIS record to another SEVP approved school

  • the student may physically remain in the United States in F-1 status,

  • the student is permitted to apply for a change of status or Post Completion OPT if eligible.

  • the student is NOT permitted to leave the United States and re-enter in F-1 status using expired I-20

    • unless their OPT has been approved, and written job offer and EAD card are in hand.

  • the student does NOT have continuing on campus work authorization

    • unless they are changing education levels within LSUHSC.

For the SEVP list of other immigration statuses that may permit full or part time study, please click here.

Pursuant to LSU System Policy, PM-31, F-1/F-2 status holders are NOT eligible to establish Louisiana residency in order to receive in-state tuition at LSUHSC-New Orleans.