Office of International Services

Contact us:

Monday-Friday 8:30a.m.-4:00p.m.
2nd floor (206B) of the Resource Center Building (433 Bolivar Street).
(504) 568-4802


The content on these pages is designed for use by LSUHSC-New Orleans sponsored students, exchange visitors and employees. It is not intended to constitute legal advice and is not a substitute for legal counsel.


J-1 Students

Students who are not U.S. Citizens or Permanent Residents (or currently in another status permitting study) who wish to come the United States to pursue a full course of study leading to a degree may do so in J-1 Student status.

To obtain documents for J-1 Student status sponsored by LSU Health Sciences Center New Orleans, a prospective student must:

  • Be unconditionally admitted to the School providing their program of study/degree; (International Services is not involved in the admissions process!)

  • Document that they are able to pay all tuition and fees associated with their degree program and the living expenses for themselves and their dependents; (Go here for a current list of tuition cost and fees for each School and Program.)

  • Provide copies of valid passport/travel documents for themselves and their dependents;

  • Provide copies of current immigration documents, if present in the United States;

  • Meet the requirements to qualify for J-1 Student status, detailed here.

Foreign national students who have been unconditionally admitted to a degree program and will apply for J-1 Student status through LSU Health Sciences Center New Orleans should complete an International Student Application Kit. A completed application kit and all required supporting documentation should be returned to the admitting School's Program Coordinator so a request can be made for International Services to issue a Form DS-2019. A Form DS-2019 will allow a prospective student (and any dependents) to apply for an entry visa at a United States Consulate abroad or, if visa exempt, admission at a Port of Entry.

Transfers: Students who are already in J-1 Student student status at another SEVP institution will also need a completed J-1 Student Transfer In form submitted with their International Student Application Kit.

  • Note: Exchange Visitors who are in J-1 status at another Institution in a category other than Student (Research Scholar, Short Term Scholar, Specialist, etc.) CANNOT use the transfer process to change categories to J-1 Student. This must be accomplished through Department of State approval of a change in category or through travel and re-entry in the Student category. Please contact International Services for more information on this process.

If all requirements are met, and a DS-2019 form is issued for a student, International Services will provide additional instructions for navigating the visa and entry process, if applicable. Those instructions and details are also available here.

Initial entry: J-1 Exchange Visitors are permitted to enter the United States up to thirty (30) days prior to the report date or program start date indicated on their Form DS-2019. (See 8 CFR § 214.2(j))

Grace Period: J-1 students are permitted a 30 day grace period following the program end date listed on their most recent DS-2019. During this 30 day period:

  • the student's SEVIS record will move to Inactive,

  • the student is permitted to physically remain in the United States in J-1 status,

  • the student is permitted to apply for a change of status, if eligible. (See 212(e) waiver issues here.)

  • the student is NOT permitted to transfer their program

  • the student may NOT  leave the Untied States and re-enter using expired DS-2019

  • the student does NOT have continuing on campus work authorization

  • the student must maintain the required health, medical evacuation and repatriation insurance required by the J Regulations for themselves and their sponsored J-2 dependents.

Participation as a J Exchange Visitor or J Dependent in ANY category may subject the J-1 and J-2 to future bars to repeat program participation as a J Research Scholar or Professor. The bars are explained here.

Pursuant to LSU System Policy, PM-31, J-1/J-2 status holders are NOT eligible to establish Louisiana residency in order to receive in-state tuition at LSUHSC-New Orleans.