Office of International Services

Contact us:

Monday-Friday 8:30a.m.-4:00p.m.
2nd floor (206B) of the Resource Center Building (433 Bolivar Street).
(504) 568-4802


The content on these pages is designed for use by LSUHSC-New Orleans sponsored students, exchange visitors and employees. It is not intended to constitute legal advice and is not a substitute for legal counsel.


J Scholar Employment

J-1 Scholars sponsored by LSUHSC New Orleans (Research Scholars, Short Term Scholars and Professors) are permitted to conduct their specified regular program activity (research, teaching as outlined in their offer letter) at LSU HSC New Orleans (their J program sponsor) automatically upon obtaining J-1 status. Scholars sponsored by third parties, such as Fulbright, must have authorization for their program activity at an LSUHSC New Orleans site, which should be indicated on their DS-2019 form.


Any changes in program activity or additional activity to take place for LSUHSC New Orleans must be reported to and approved by OIS prior to commencement!!

Incidental Employment Authorization

J-1 Scholars who wish to engage in activity such as occasional lectures or consultations for an institution or organization other than LSU HSC New Orleans, in exchange for payment or other remuneration, must obtain authorization prior to doing so.

J-1 Scholars sponsored by LSUHSC New Orleans may obtain approval for occasional lectures or consultations to take place for the benefit of another institution or organization by submitting an Incidental Employment Request Form and appropriate supporting documentation, such as a letter of invitation or contract to the Office of International Services.

The proposed activity:

  • Must be consistent with the J-1 Scholar's program objectives

  • Must not interfere with regular program activity and must be approved by the Scholar's direct supervisor

  • Must not delay the completion of the Scholar's program

The Office of International Services will update the J-1 Scholar's DS-2019 Form with additional site(s) of activity and additional funding as appropriate if the request is approved.