Office of International Services

Contact us:

Monday-Friday 8:30a.m.-4:00p.m.
2nd floor (206B) of the Resource Center Building (433 Bolivar Street).
(504) 568-4802


The content on these pages is designed for use by LSUHSC-New Orleans sponsored students, exchange visitors and employees. It is not intended to constitute legal advice and is not a substitute for legal counsel.


J-2 Dependents

Only legal spouses (as recognized by U.S. Immigration law) and children under the age of 21 are eligible for J-2 Dependent status.

J-2 Dependents may NOT:

  • work incident to their status

  • receive stipend or assistantship funds from LSUHSC-New Orleans without current work authorization

  • "Volunteer" in positions normally occupied by paid workers without current work authorization

J-2 Dependents may:

  • Attend school (K-12)

  • Volunteer with community organizations and non-profits in traditional volunteer positions

  • apply for employment authorization directly to USCIS (Must complete Form I-765, a sample support letter can be found here.)

  • Study full or part time in pursuit of a degree (College/University) or certification

J-2 Dependent status is contingent upon the J-1 principal properly maintaining their J-1 status. If the J-1 falls out of status, all J-2 dependents associated with the principal will also be considered out of status.

For information about J-2 dependent children who will reach the age of 21 while in J-2 status, click here.

For information about immigration options for unmarried partners and other family members who do not qualify as a spouse or child for J-2 purposes, click here.

Pursuant to LSU System Policy, PM-31, J-1/J-2 status holders are NOT eligible to establish Louisiana residency in order to receive in-state tuition at LSUHSC-New Orleans.