Office of International Services

Contact us:

Monday-Friday 8:30a.m.-4:00p.m.
2nd floor (206B) of the Resource Center Building (433 Bolivar Street).
(504) 568-4802


The content on these pages is designed for use by LSUHSC-New Orleans sponsored students, exchange visitors and employees. It is not intended to constitute legal advice and is not a substitute for legal counsel.


J-1 Student Status

Students who are not U.S. Citizens or Permanent Residents (or currently in another status permitting study) who wish to come the LSU HSC New Orleans to pursue a full course of study leading to a degree may do so in J-1 Student status. Non-degree students may participate in a prescribed course of study for up to 24 months in J-1 Student status. J-1 status is a non-immigrant status.

To obtain documents for J-1 status sponsored by LSU Health Sciences Center New Orleans, a prospective student must:

  • Be unconditionally admitted to the School providing their program of study/degree; (International Services is not involved in the admissions process!)

  • Provide copies of valid passport/travel documents for themselves and their dependents;

  • Provide copies of current immigration documents, if present in the United States.

Federal Regulations also state that a student is eligible for participation in the Exchange Visitor Program if at any time* during an educational program in the United States, the student or their program are:

  •  Financed directly or indirectly by:

    • The United States Government;

    • The government of the student's home country; or

    •  An international organization of which the United States is a member by treaty or statute;

  • The program is carried out pursuant to an agreement between the United States Government and a foreign government;

  • The program is carried out pursuant to written agreement between:

    • American and foreign academic institutions;

    • An American academic institution and a foreign government; or

    • A state or local government in the United States and a foreign government;

  • The student is supported substantially by funding from any source other than personal or family funds;

* J-1 Students who have been granted J-1 status may continue in that status even if their qualifying circumstances cease or change during their course of study.

 (See 22 CFR 62.23(c))

Foreign national students who have been unconditionally admitted to a degree program, meet one of the above criteria and will apply for J-1 status through LSU Health Sciences Center New Orleans should complete an International Student Application Kit. A completed application kit and all required supporting documentation should be returned to the admitting School's Program Coordinator so a request can be made for International Services to issue a Form DS-2019. A Form DS-2019 will allow a prospective student (and any dependents) to document transfer to LSU HSC New Orleans, or if abroad, apply for an entry visa at a United States Consulate  or, if visa exempt, admission at a Port of Entry.

Transfers: Students who are already in J-1 student status at another SEVP institution will also need a completed J-1 Student Transfer In form submitted with their International Student Application Kit.

  • Note: Exchange Visitors who are in J-1 status at another Institution in a category other than Student (Research Scholar, Short Term Scholar, Specialist, etc.) CANNOT use the transfer process to change categories to J-1 Student. This must be accomplished through Department of State approval of a change in category or through travel and re-entry in the Student category. Please contact International Services for more information on this process.

If all requirements are met, and a DS-2019 form is issued for a student, International Services will provide additional instructions for navigating the visa and entry process if applicable. Those instructions and details are also available here.

Grace Period:   J-1 students are permitted a 30 day grace period following the program completion date listed on their most recent DS-2019. During this 30 day period:

  • the student's SEVIS record is INACTIVE

  • the student may physically remain in the United States,

  • the student is permitted to apply for a change of status if eligible.

  • the student is NOT permitted to leave the Untied States and re-enter in J-1 status using expired DS-2019

  • the student is NOT permitted to transfer to another J Program sponsor

  • the student is NOT permitted to work

  • the student MUST maintain the required insurance for themselves and any J-2 dependents

If you do not meet one of the above criteria for J-1 Student status, please see our page for Prospective F-1 Students.

Participation as a J Exchange Visitor or J Dependent in ANY category may subject the J-1 and J-2 to future bars to repeat program participation as a J Research Scholar or Professor. The bars are explained here.

Pursuant to LSU System Policy, PM-31, J-1/J-2 status holders are NOT eligible to establish Louisiana residency in order to receive in-state tuition at LSUHSC-New Orleans.