Office of International Services

Contact us:

Monday-Friday 8:30a.m.-4:00p.m.
2nd floor (206B) of the Resource Center Building (433 Bolivar Street).
(504) 568-4802


The content on these pages is designed for use by LSUHSC-New Orleans sponsored students, exchange visitors and employees. It is not intended to constitute legal advice and is not a substitute for legal counsel.


B-1/B-2 Visitors

Foreign Nationals who do not qualify under the Visa Waiver Program and are not otherwise visa exempt must obtain a B-1/B-2 entry visa from a U.S. consulate abroad to be eligible to apply for admission as a Visitor.

The Visa Waiver Program (VWP) allows nationals of participating countries to travel to the United States for tourism or business (B visitor visa purposes only) for stays of 90 days or less without obtaining an entry visa. Click here for a list of Participating Countries.

ALL temporary visitors must be able to show the consular officer or border patrol officer that:

  • They have a residence abroad they do not intend to abandon (family ties, property, business/employment ties)

  • They intend to enter the U.S. for a specific and limited time (airline tickets, travel itinerary, lodging information)

  • They intend to enter the U.S. for legitimate purposes (conference registration, invitation letter)

The B-1 (WB) Visitor category is designed for temporary visitors for Business purposes. This can include:

  • Attending professional or educational conferences or seminars

  • Conducting independent research

  • Observing business practices and operations

The B-2 (WT) Visitor category is designed for temporary visitors for personal or recreational purposes. This can include:

  • Visiting family/friends in the United States (weddings, graduation, etc.)

  • Visiting the U.S. for tourism and recreation

  • Medical Treatment

  • Visiting potential schools/exchange sites (Potential students/exchange visitors who anticipate using F-1 or J-1 status for a future course of study/exchange program should request a "potential student"/"potential exchange visitor" notation on their entry visa! This may help facilitate a future application for a change of status, if one is necessary.)

  • Interviewing for potential employment

  • Unmarried co-habitating partners and non-dependent family members who are not eligible for other derivative immigration status

More details about the criteria used to determine eligibility for the B-1 and B-2 categories can be found in the Foreign Affairs Manual at 9 FAM 402.2-5(B)

LSUHSC B-1/WB Invitation Letter Template (co-signed by inviting Faculty and Director of International Services)

9 FAM 402.2-5(B) Visitors Aliens Traveling to United States to Engage in Commercial Transactions, Negotiations, Consultations, Conferences, Etc.

LSUHSC Students/Exchange Visitor/Employees:  Instructions for Requesting Invitation Letter for Family Members


For information about honorarium payments for B-1/B-2/VT/WB visitors, click here.