Peer Advocate Liaison Program (PAL) Frequently Asked Questions

The Peer Advocate Liaison Program (PAL) helps student’s access resources when they are experiencing personal or academic difficulties. PALs are classmates who have been educated about available on- and off-campus resources so they can assist their peers in contacting these resources. Below are questions that have been brought up in the past that may be helpful in assisting a classmate in getting connected with on campus resources.

  1. Where is the CAP office?

The Campus Assistance Program is located in the Clinical Education Building at 1542 Tulane Avenue on the 8th floor, Office #866.

  1. Is going to CAP a confidential process?

Individual can come to CAP as a self referral or as an administrative referral. Self Referral: All information concerning any individual who self refers to the CAP is confidential, whether that contact is by telephone or personal appointment. All client information and records are strictly confidential and only available to the CAP staff. The only exception is life threatening situations such as suicide, homicide, child or elder abuse.

Administrative referral: At times students may be experiencing problems which have come to the attention of administration. In these situations, administration may make a referral to CAP and expect CAP staff to provide them a medical release indicating fitness for duty and/or compliance with a treatment plan. In these situations, the student would have to sign a release in order for us to provide administration the information they requested.

  1. What is an administrative referral to CAP?

LSUHSC has many policies to ensure a quality learning experience, public safety and to comply with various Federal and State laws. An administrative referral is made when an individual has broken, or is suspected of breaking one of the policies. The most common referrals are an administrative referral in lieu of disciplinary action, a Fitness for Duty or a Substance Abuse referral. When this happens, administration is asking CAP to evaluate the individual, determine a course of treatment if needed, and to monitor the individual’s level of participation and cooperation. When an administrative referral is made, the individual is asked to sign a release of information giving the CAP counselor permission to provide administration the forgoing information.

  1. How can someone get connected with CAP?

If you or an immediate family member has a problem for which assistance is needed, you can call CAP. A counselor will set a time to meet with you personally or if you like, you can discuss the problem over the phone. You can also walk into the CAP office to schedule an appointment. If someone is available, or if you’re in a crisis, you’ll be seen immediately.

  1. What is the cost for CAP?

There is no fee for your contact with CAP. LSUHSC values you as a student and offers CAP services as a student benefit.

  1. What type of professionals or program can CAP connect people to?

There is a wide range of problems individuals bring to CAP. The most common are mental health, substance abuse, legal, family, financial, work and academic problems. As a result, we have networked with many programs; some within LSUHSC system, as well as the private and non-private sector. The providers we have most frequently connected individuals with include: psychiatrists, psychologists, social workers, primary care providers, substance abuse counselors, 12-Step meetings, legal aid clinics, consumer credit agencies, many state agencies and church based programs such as Catholic Charities.

  1. What is the range of issues CAP can deal with?

It does not matter what the problem is. One of our jobs is to find resources for individuals who are experiencing problems that affect their school or work performance. Family, marital, relationship, mental health, alcohol and drugs, academic, legal and financial problems are some of the most common.

  1. What is April?

Academic Performance Resources In LSUHSC. April provides an umbrella of academic support services for all LSUHSC students in New Orleans. Services under this umbrella include: Student Health, academic and neuropsychological Assessments, free off-campus professional counseling with Bonnie Adlesberg, CAP and the Department of Communication Disorders. Students can access any of the APRIL resources directly.

  1. What are some of the advantages of a student going through CAP versus seeking help directly from the community?

CAP can do brief short-term counseling. Additionally, if a student is unfamiliar with community resources we can assist that student in getting connected with affordable services to assist with their particular problem.

  1. If a student is being guided through their recovery by a CAP counselor, are there consequences of missing an appointment or meeting?

Depends. If a student was administratively referred by administration and not complying with their treatment plan, yes there could be consequences. But that is between the student and administration. If a student came to CAP on their own as a self referral, no.

  1. When a student comes to CAP because they are doing poorly in school and have symptoms of depression, anxiety, or addiction, how are they initially assessed?

A psychosocial history is completed by one of the CAP counselors. Additionally the CAGE, MAST and/or another assessment tool may be administered. Depending on the initial screening, additional psychiatric, medical and/or cognitive testing may be required. These are usually completed by an outside provider

  1. Should I recommend a resource to a person who comes to me for help or should I send them to CAP first?

Remember your role is to provide the students with information that can assist them with whatever their concern is. You should not make a recommendation or a referral. Just provide information to the student who is asking for assistance. Giving the student information on what is available to them is the best thing to do. If you have no idea what type of resource to provide, give CAP or a PAL mentor a call.

  1. Will my phone number be posted online or on campus?


  1. Where or from whom can I find answers to my questions about ways to help my classmates?

CAP, any of the PAL mentors, Student Affairs or you can bring it to a PAL meeting.

If you have questions or comments about our website, click here to contact us. We appreciate your feedback.