Community Health, Wellness & Safety Resources
Welcome to the LSU Health Sciences Center New Orleans Community Health, Wellness and Safety Resource page. Below is a list of community programs, resources and web page links available in the Greater New Orleans area. If you are looking for a resource that is not listed, please contact Campus Assistance Program staff at (504) 568-8888.
If you have an emergency or need immediate assistance, please contact:
• Click here for important information regarding hurricane and disaster preparedness.
• Click here to sign up for LSUHSC-NO emergency text or e-mail alerts.
Crisis Resources - Hurricane Ida:
Suicide Prevention Lifeline
The Lifeline provides 24/7, free and confidential support for people in distress, prevention and crisis resources for you or your loved ones, and best practices for professionals.
Federally funded crisis counseling and stress management program for individuals, families and groups affected by disasters across the State of Louisiana.
Disaster Distress Helpline SAMHSA (Substance Abuse and Mental Health Services Administration) provides crisis counseling and support to people experiencing emotional distress related to natural or human-caused disasters.
1-800-985-5990 or text “TalkWithUs” to 66746
Louisiana Healthcare Connections
Launched a 24-hour, toll-free crisis hotline for those impacted by Hurricane Ida. If you were impacted by Hurricane Ida and would like to speak with a licensed clinician, please call 1-866-595-8133 and follow the first prompt.
Ochsner Health is offering free urgent care telemedicine visits via Ochsner Anywhere Care to Louisiana and Mississippi residents who have been displaced due to Hurricane Ida through Monday, September 6.
The code for a free appointment is: IDA
• VIA LINK Crisis Line & Community Resouce Directory
• Suicide Prevention Lifeline
• Metropolitan Crisis Response Team (Orleans, St. Bernard & Plaquemines Parishes)
• Mobile Crisis Services (Jefferson Parish)
• Poison Control
• Child Abuse Hotline
• SAMHSA Substance Abuse & Mental Health Helpline
• SAMHSA Disaster Distress Helpline
Domestic Violence / Sexual Assault Hotlines
• Crescent House (Orleans Parish)
• Metropolitan Center for Women and Children (Jefferson Parish)
• National Domestic Violence Hotline
800-787-3224 (for TTY)
• National Sexual Assault Hotline
Support & Self-Help Groups
• New Orleans Alcoholics Anonymous
• Narcotics Anonymous
• Sex Addicts Anonymous
• Debtors Anonymous
• Gamblers Anonymous
• Overeaters Anonymous
• Parents Anonymous
• Nicotine Anonymous
• The Compassionate Friends (Child Loss Bereavement)
Impaired Professional Committees
• Healthcare Professionals' Foundation of Louisiana (HPFL)
Offers a confidential, voluntary alternative to formal disciplinary action for physicians, dental professionals, and other healthcare professionals who are experiencing difficulties due to substance use, mental health, physical ailments, or disruptive behavior patterns. For more information call 888-743-5747.
• Recovering Nurses Program (RNP)
Offers a confidential, voluntary alternative to formal disciplinary action for nurses who are experiencing difficulties due to chemical dependency or abuse. Nurses may also be mandated for RNP monitoring when there is disciplinary action. For more information call (225) 755-7546.
If you have questions or comments about our website, click here to contact us. We appreciate your feedback.