LSU Health New Orleans

Career Opportunities | Contact | Donate

Tuesday, February 09, 2016   8:43 PM    |   51°F
Office of International Services Forms and Instructions Prospective International Students Immigration Status Sponsorship Immigration Terms and Documents Entering and Leaving the United States J Exchange Visitors F Students and Dependents H1B Employees TN Employees Patient Care Positions Change of Status Permanent Residency Visitors and Guests Help with Taxes Other Links and Resources Contact Us Feedback
<p> Contact Us</p>

Contact Us

Hours: Monday-Friday 8:30a.m.-4:00p.m.

Location: 2nd floor (206B) of the Resource Center Building (433 Bolivar Street).

Contact Us

By Phone:

(504) 568-4802

By Email:


The content on these pages is designed for use by LSUHSC-New Orleans sponsored students, exchange visitors and employees. It is not intended to constitute legal advice and is not a substitute for legal counsel.


F-2 Dependents

Only legal spouses (as recognized by U.S. Immigration law) and children under the age of 21 are eligible for F-2 Dependent status.

F-2 status is designed to allow the spouse and dependent  children of an F-1 student to accompany the F-1 student to the U.S. during their educational program(s).

F-2 Dependents may NOT:

  • work

  • apply for employment authorization

  • receive stipend or assistantship funds from LSUHSC-New Orleans

  • "Volunteer" in positions normally occupied by paid workers

  • Study full time in pursuit of a degree (College/University) or certification if over 21

F-2 Dependents may:

  • Attend school (Ex.:K-12)

  • Volunteer with community organizations and non-profits in traditional volunteer positions

  • Study part time in pursuit of a degree (College/University) or certification if over 21

F-2 Dependent status is contingent upon the F-1 principal properly maintaining their F-1 status. If the F-1 falls out of status, all F-2 dependents associated with the principal will also be considered out of status.

For information about F-2 dependent children who will reach the age of 21 while in F-2 status, click here.

For information about immigration options for unmarried same sex partners and other family members who do not qualify as a spouse or child for F-2 purposes, click here.

Pursuant to LSU System Policy, PM-31, F-1/F-2 status holders are NOT eligible to establish Louisiana residency in order to receive in-state tuition at LSUHSC-New Orleans.