LSU Health New Orleans

Career Opportunities | Contact | Donate

Wednesday, February 10, 2016   9:27 AM    |   43°F
Office of International Services Forms and Instructions Prospective International Students Immigration Status Sponsorship Immigration Terms and Documents Entering and Leaving the United States J Exchange Visitors F Students and Dependents H1B Employees TN Employees Patient Care Positions Change of Status Permanent Residency Visitors and Guests Help with Taxes Other Links and Resources Contact Us Feedback
<p> Contact Us</p>

Hours: Monday-Friday 8:30a.m.-4:00p.m.

Location: 2nd floor (206B) of the Resource Center Building (433 Bolivar Street).

Contact Us

By Phone:

(504) 568-4802

By Email:


The content on these pages is designed for use by LSUHSC-New Orleans sponsored students, exchange visitors and employees. It is not intended to constitute legal advice and is not a substitute for legal counsel.



H-4 Dependents

Only legal spouses (as recognized by U.S. Immigration law) and children under the age of 21 are eligible for H-4 Dependent status.

H-4 Dependents may NOT:

  • work

  • apply for employment authorization

  • receive stipend or assistantship funds from LSUHSC-New Orleans

  • "Volunteer" in positions normally occupied by paid workers

H-4 Dependents may:

  • Attend school (K-12)

  • Study full or part time in pursuit of a degree (College/University)

  • Volunteer with community organizations and non-profits in traditional volunteer positions

H-4 Dependent status is contingent upon the H-1B principal properly maintaining their H-1B status. If the H-1B falls out of status, all H-4 dependents associated with the principal will also be considered out of status.

For information about H-4 dependent children who will reach the age of 21 while in H-4 status, click here.

For information about immigration options for unmarried same sex partners and other family members who do not qualify as a spouse or child for H-4 purposes, click here.

Pursuant to LSU System Policy, PM-31, H-1B/H-4 status holders may be eligible to establish Louisiana residency in order to receive in-state tuition at LSUHSC-New Orleans.