Office of International Services

Contact us:

Monday-Friday 8:30a.m.-4:00p.m.
2nd floor (206B) of the Resource Center Building (433 Bolivar Street).
(504) 568-4802


The content on these pages is designed for use by LSUHSC-New Orleans sponsored students, exchange visitors and employees. It is not intended to constitute legal advice and is not a substitute for legal counsel.


Eligibility for Honorarium Payments

  • Payee must be admitted to the U.S. in B-1, B-2, WB or WT status as indicated by I-94 or CBP admission stamp;

  • Activity for which honorarium is received must be "usual academic" activity (guest lecture, guest teacher, etc.) and benefit LSUHSC New Orleans;

  • Academic activity must not exceed a duration of nine days;

  • Payee may not have received more than 5 honorarium payments from other institutions in the past six months.

If eligibility for honorarium payment is met, the payee may also receive reimbursement for incidental expenses.

***Honorarium Payment Eligibility Form***

Eligibility for an honorarium payment does NOT imply employment or work authorization. No person admitted in one of the statuses above is authorized to be employed by or receive wages from LSUHSC-New Orleans.

If the above criteria are not met, please contact International Services well before the proposed payee arrives in the U.S.  for assistance in determining if another immigration status may be appropriate for the proposed activity/visit.

Per LSUHSC policy, in order to receive an honorarium payment from LSUHSC New Orleans, each individual must have either a Social Security number OR an Individual Tax Identification Number (ITIN).

How to obtain a Social Security Number as a foreign national:

Information from the Social Security Administration for students and scholars can be found here. Information from the Social Security Administration for foreign workers can be found here

***If you are eligible for a Social Security Number or have already been issued one, you are NOT eligible to apply for an ITIN.***

How to obtain an ITIN

LSUHSC-New Orleans ITIN Information Sheet

Form W-7 (Application for ITIN)

IRS Instructions for Form W-7