Office of International Services

Contact us:

Monday-Friday 8:30a.m.-4:00p.m.
2nd floor (206B) of the Resource Center Building (433 Bolivar Street).
(504) 568-4802


The content on these pages is designed for use by LSUHSC-New Orleans sponsored students, exchange visitors and employees. It is not intended to constitute legal advice and is not a substitute for legal counsel.

Off Campus Employment for F-1 Students


An F-1 student may be authorized for off-campus employment in the following situations:

  • Severe and unforeseen economic necessity

  • Employment with a recognized International Organization

  • Special Student Relief program


ALL off campus employment must be adjudicated by USCIS following a SEVIS recommendation on the Student's record. If USCIS approves the petition, an Employment Authorization Document (EAD) will be issued to the student. Off campus employment authorization may not extend past the completion date on the student's Form I-20 and will be granted in one year blocks unless the student's I-20 completion date is earlier.

A student may NOT begin off campus employment prior to the start date listed on their EAD or continue past the end date on the EAD unless they have received a new EAD card for continued off campus work authorization.

ALL off campus employment is limited to 20 hours per week during regular semesters, unless otherwise noted below, but may be up to 40 hours per week during official school breaks or if authorized under a Special Student Relief program.

ALL off campus employment authorization terminates automatically if the student fails to maintain status or transfers to another SEVP institution.


Off Campus Employment due to Severe Economic Hardship

Eligibility Criteria:

  • Student must have been in valid F-1 status for one full academic year, currently maintaining status, and in good academic standing.

  • Show that severe economic hardship exists due to circumstances that occurred after obtaining F-1 status and are beyond the student's control.

    • Examples include:

      • home country currency devaluation

      • medical bills

      • loss of financial aid that is not the fault of the student

      • substantial and unexpected tuition/fee increases

  • Show that other employment options are unavailable or are insufficient to cure current economic hardship

  • Show that the employment will not interfere with ability to maintain a full time course load

What is not required to apply:

  • A specific job offer

  • Position that is related to course of study

For instructions on how to apply for Off Campus Employment SEH, click here.

Off Campus Employment with an International Organization

Students may undertake off campus employment with a recognized International Organization. For a list of recognized Organizations, click here.

Eligibility Criteria:

  • Students are eligible immediately upon obtaining F-1 status, no waiting period.

  • Must have a specific, written offer from the International Organization

  • Students must maintain a full time course load during this employment.

For instructions on how to apply for Off Campus Employment with an International Organization, click here.

Off Campus Employment under Special Student Relief

To determine if you are eligible for SSR Off Campus employment, please contact International Services.

Students from the following eligible countries may receive off campus SSR authorization:


(expires 05/20/2025) 


(expires 4/19/2025) 

South Sudan

(expires 5/3/2025)


(expires 11/25/2025)


(expires 8/3/2024)


(expires 09/17/2024)


(expires 9/3/2024)


(expires 9/10/2025)


(expires 9/30/2025)

Hong Kong 

(expires 2/5/2025)


(expires 6/7/2025)




(expires 4/19/2025)



Students who are approved for SSR are also eligible (this is not automatically granted) for a Reduced Course Load. All students must maintain the minimum enrollment required for their degree level by LSUHSC and/or the Federal Regulations. Federal Regulations regarding SSR relief require Undergraduate students to maintain a minimum of six hours, and Graduate students a minimum of three hours.

SSR permits full time off campus employment (40 hours per week) provided an approved EAD is received and minimum enrollment, detailed above, is met.