Human Resources

Frequently Asked Questions

Select a category below to view relevant questions:





Attendance and Leave

VMS means you have taken 8 hours vacation monthly subtract. This type of leave deduction occurs when there was an adjustment or correction made as a deduction from your annual leave balance which occurred after a payroll process.

SMS means you have taken 8 hours sick monthly subtract. This type of leave deduction occurs when there was an adjustment or correction made as a deduction from your sick leave balance which occurred after the payroll process.

a.) The September timesheets were due by October 10, but was submitted to Human Resources on October 29. The leave data from the timesheets will be deducted after the payroll has already been processed. 
b.) A memo was sent to Human Resources to deduct 8 annual or 8 sick leave that was omitted on a previous timesheet. This type of leave deduction will be reflected on your check stub as 8 VMS (vacation monthly subtract) or 8 SMS (sick monthly subtract).

VMA means that a credit adjustment was made to your annual leave account. If an error in deduction was made from your annual leave balance, the correction would be reflected as Vacation Monthly Adjust. VMA can also be shown when leave balances are transferred from another state agency. Other situations can occur that would warrant this type of an adjustment.

SMA means that a credit adjustment was made to your sick leave account. If an error in deduction was made from your sick leave balance, the correction would be reflected as Sick Monthly Adjust. SMA can also be shown when leave balances are transferred from another state agency. Other situations can occur that would warrant this type of an adjustment.

Unclassified employees whose start date begins after the 1st of the month but has worked at least ½ of the month will accrue ½ month’s of accrued leave for that month. A manual adjustment was made to deduct ½ of the full month of leave accrued.

Unclassified employees whose start date begins at less than ½ of the month will not accrue leave for that month. A manual adjustment was made to deduct the full month’s accrued leave for that month.


A classified employee who used sick leave within the current pay period will show the number of hours used in the Hours and Earnings Section under the Current Hours column. Your check stub also shows a year-to-date column of total sick leave taken since January.


A classified employee who used annual leave within the current pay period will show the number of hours used in the Hours and Earnings Section under Current Hours. Your check stub also shows a year-to-date column of total annual leave taken since January.


Your check stub reflects accumulative hours earned year to date. These earnings are reflected on your check stub on a calendar year basis. The accumulation process will start over in January. Your January check stub should show your actual accrual rate. However, you may contact Mark Gele' in Human Resources at 568-7812 to obtain your accrual rate.


The contact person regarding leave is Mark Gele' (504) 568-7812.


Insurance and General Benefits


Yes, if you are an active employee and employed at 75% effort or greater (30 hours/week or more).

Your eligible dependents include your legal spouse and your children younger than 26.

If a dependent child is incapacitated and incapable of self-sustaining employment prior to the termination age for children, continued coverage may be available.

Proof of dependent status is required for Health Insurance and/or Life Insurance provided through the Office of Group Benefits.

Spouse – Marriage Certificate
Children – Birth Letter, Birth Certificate, Adoption Papers, Legal Custody or other legal documents establishing custody
Social security cards are requested for all health insurance enrollments.

Benefits for a newly hired employee will become effective the 1st day of the month following one full calendar month of employment.

An employee hired on January 1st would be eligible for coverage February 1st.
An employee hired on January 2nd – 31st would be eligible for coverage March 1st.

A newly hired employee or newly eligible employee has 30 days from his/her hire/eligibility date to enroll for coverage.

Newly hired employees receive all the necessary forms with their New Employee Orientation Packet. There is a separate form to complete for each type of coverage desired. Contact Benefits in Human Resources Management for the proper forms and explanation of the enrollment procedure.

Premiums are payroll deducted and most are deducted a month in advance.

If you or your eligible dependents do not enroll within 30 days of hire/eligibility, you may have to wait until Annual Enrollment in October. Some benefit plans allow you to enroll after 30 days of hire/eligibility if you experience a recognized Qualified Life Event (e.g., loss of other coverage, marriage, divorce, birth, adoption, etc.). Some benefit plans allow you to apply at any time, but require an Evidence of Insurability and are subject to underwriting review which means you may or may not be approved.

To add newly eligible dependents acquired through marriage, birth or adoption Qualified Life Events, you must submit an Enrollment/Change form to Benefits within 30 days of the event. Failure to do so will result in a requirement to wait until Annual Enrollment.

No. You must submit an Enrollment/Change form to Benefits within 30 days of birth. Failure to do so will result in a requirement to wait until Annual Enrollment.

You must submit an Enrollment/Change form to delete a dependent within 30 days of the following qualifying life events:

Child reaches age 26
Death of spouse or child

Generally, you may change plans during Annual Enrollment in October for a January 1st effective date. Certain Qualifying Life Events allow you to change plans during the benefit plan year.

You will need to complete the Personal Data Change form and submit it to or fax it to 504-568-8350.

Your coverage under any plan will end on the last day of the month in which your employment terminates.

Under Federal law and applicable to specific plans, covered employees and their covered dependents are offered the opportunity to continue coverage after termination of employment or a reduction in hours to an ineligible status. COBRA provisions allow a continuation of medical and dental coverage for up to 18 months (up to 36 months under certain qualifying circumstances). COBRA provisions may also apply to Flexible Spending Accounts. You have a 60 day election period following the loss of benefits to elect COBRA coverage. Plans not subject to COBRA may be eligible for continuation under portability or conversion provisions.

You may continue your medical, dental, vision, accidental death and dismemberment coverage and state-sponsored life insurance if you meet the eligibility requirements for age and years of service under the Teachers’ Retirement System (TRSL) or Louisiana State Employees’ Retirement System (LASERS). If you are a member of the Optional Retirement Plan, you must meet the TRSL requirements to continue coverage.

The 1095-C form is a tax form required under the Affordable Care Act. It serves as proof that LSUHSC-NO has offered health insurance to the recipient. It also services as the recipient’s proof of enrollment, if applicable. This form may be needed to file your federal tax return.


Yes. If you are an active employee meeting the following conditions, you will participate in a state retirement plan:

You are unclassified staff and employed at 51% effort or greater,
You are unclassified faculty (teaching position) and employed at 50% effort or greater, or
You are classified and employed at 51% effort or greater.
Employees not eligible for a state retirement plan, may participate in Social Security.

Yes. The supplemental retirement program includes a 403(b), Roth 403(b), 457(b), and Roth 457(b). The IRS sets the annual contribution limits.

LASERS members may contact Benefits for a "Refund of Accumulated Contributions" form. Refunds take about 60 days after submission of this form. TRSL members may contact Benefits for an "Application for Refund" form. Optional Retirement Plan (ORP) members should contact the appropriate vendor for withdrawal applications. TRSL must verify terminated status prior to distribution of funds.



Workers' Compensation

State employees are covered for workers’ compensation through the State of Louisiana, Office of Risk Management (ORM), Office of Workers’ Compensation. LSUHSC-NO has no authority to authorize medical payments for an employee. LSUHSC-NO furnishes information to ORM’s workers’ compensation administrator. That office makes final determinations as to eligibility.

For information and questions regarding worker's compensation, please reach out to

Contact your supervisor or designated departmental liaison immediately. Any serious injury should be reported immediately to Benefits.

You can go to any doctor or medical facility of your choice. Many employees go to one of the four Concentra Medical Centers located in New Orleans, Kenner, and Metairie.

ORM’s workers’ compensation administrator will request that the medical provider send appropriate forms to the administrator. Upon receipt of the forms, the administrator will determine if payment is appropriate. If so, the administrator will make payment to the medical provider. It is the responsibility of the medical provider to reimburse the insurance company. Neither ORM nor the administrator reimburses the insurance company.

Accrued sick and annual leave must be used. If, however, a work related injury results in an employee being absent from work for seven days or more and the employee is eligible to receive benefits for lost wages, an adjustment is made to the sick and annual leave balances in accordance with the leave reimbursement process.

Workers’ compensation provides benefits for approximately two-thirds of lost wages, subject to the maximum/minimum benefit amount set by ORM’s Workers’ Compensation Administration. Wage benefit checks are issued to the employee through Human Resource Management. If an employee uses accrued leave to supplement wage benefit checks, he/she will be subject to the leave reimbursement process which involves using all or a portion of the wage benefit check to reinstate a portion of accrued leave used. If an employee is absent more than 14 days, he/she will be compensated for the first 7 days.

Family Medical Leave Act (FMLA)

Yes. The law states that employers must record FMLA for absences when the employer has enough information to know that the reason for the absence is a qualifying event under FMLA. Example: You tell your supervisor that you will be out for at least a week because you are having surgery. That is enough information for us to know that the absence qualifies as FMLA, regardless of whether you asked for it or not. 

In most cases, no. It is LSUHSC-NO’s policy that FMLA runs concurrently with any appropriate paid leave the person has. For instance, if a person is absent for eight days due to his/her own illness, he/she would be charged eight days of sick leave/FMLA. If, however, a person is absent eight days due to the illness of a parent, he/she would be charged eight days of annual leave/FMLA. If a person has no accrued leave, he/she is placed on leave without pay (LWOP)/FMLA.

No. In the case of maternity, sick leave is the appropriate leave to be charged until the employee is medically released by her physician. The remainder of the absence is for the purpose of bonding with the child. At that point, annual leave becomes the appropriate leave to be charged.

A “12-month period measured forward” means that employees are entitled to 12 weeks of FMLA in the 12 month period that follows the first date they take FMLA leave. For instance, if an employee begins FMLA March 1, 2017, he/she is entitled to a total of 12 weeks of FMLA between March 1, 2017 and March 1, 2018.

If an employee uses either Sick or Annual leave, nothing different happens. Health insurance premiums are deducted from your paycheck as usual. However, if an employee has no accrued leave and must use LWOP, Accounting Services will make arrangements for the employee to pay the employee portion of the premium. LSUHSC-NO will continue to pay the employer portion of the premium on your behalf while you are on FMLA.


Annual leave is provided primarily for vacations and handling personal affairs. It can only be used when approved by your supervisor. Sick leave is provided when an employee is prevented from performing duties because of a personal illness, medical, optical or dental appointment.

A maximum of two days may be granted on any one occasion to attend the funeral or burial rites of a parent, stepparent, child, stepchild, brother, stepbrother, sister, stepsister, spouse, mother-in-law, father-in-law, grandparent, or grandchild.


Position descriptions are completed in PeopleAdmin.  Guidance on how to use PeopleAdmin can be found under HR Resource.  An unclassified position description guide is available on the web to assist you with the type of information needed for the description. If you need further assistance, please contact our Compensation staff at (504) 568-4226.

You can access your own position description and descriptions of unclassified staff reporting into you through PeopleAdmin System.   For other positions, please contact our Compensation staff at (504) 568-4226.

Anim pariatur cliche reprehenderit, enim eiusmod high life accusamus terry richardson ad squid. 3 wolf moon officia aute, non cupidatat skateboard dolor brunch. Food truck quinoa nesciunt laborum eiusmod. Brunch 3 wolf moon tempor, sunt aliqua put a bird on it squid single-origin coffee nulla assumenda shoreditch et. Nihil anim keffiyeh helvetica, craft beer labore wes anderson cred nesciunt sapiente ea proident. Ad vegan excepteur butcher vice lomo. Leggings occaecat craft beer farm-to-table, raw denim aesthetic synth nesciunt you probably haven't heard of them accusamus labore sustainable VHS

For all unclassified positions that require a position description, please contact our compensation office at (504) 568-4226 for assistance. For all faculty positions, please contact your dean's office for assistance with current salary ranges.

All classified positions are dictated by Civil Service. For generic classified position descriptions and ranges, please visit the Civil Service website below -

The Civil Service position description form (SF-3) can be obtain through Civil Service's website or our forms page. For directions on completing the form, please contact the Human Resource Analyst for your department. If you do not know who the analyst is for your department, please contact (504) 568-4834 for further assistance.

Employee Relations

Disciplinary Actions

For classified and unclassified employees, discipline includes only: suspension without pay, reduction in pay, involuntary demotion, and dismissal.

A written reprimand is not considered to be an official disciplinary action; therefore, it cannot be placed in your official personnel file in Human Resouces Management.  However, reprimands may be used to support disciplinary actions that may be taken in the future.

You have the right to submit a written response to the reprimand. Your supervisor should attach your response to the reprimand and maintain both documents in your departmental personnel file.

You will receive a pre-deprivation letter stating the reasons your department is recommending disciplinary action. You will be given an opportunity to respond to those allegations in writing. If there is some reason an employee cannot respond in writing he/she will be given the opportunity to give a verbal response. Your response will be considered by the appointing authority, department head, or supervisor before a final decision is made regarding the disciplinary action.

Disciplinary actions taken against classified employees may be appealed to the Civil Service Commission.  Instructions are available on the Civil Service Employee Appeal Process page.

  • A classified employee with permanent status who has been removed or subjected to one of the disciplinary actions listed in Rule 12.2(b)
  • A non-disciplinary removal of a classified employee
  • A layoff of a classified employee
  • A classified employee who has been adversely affected by a violation of any provision in Article X or any Civil Service Rule other than a rule in Chapter 10

Please contact the Employee Relations Section within HRM at 504-568-5798 or 504-568-4947. 

Confidentiality is a critical component of Human Resources and will always be maintained at the highest level, as long as it does not interfere with the university's legal obligation with regard to specific laws.


It is recommeded that an employee first discuss the problem with their immediate supervisor.  Often the issue can be resolved at this stage.  If the immediate supervisor is unable to resolve the problem, or the employee is uncomfortable discussing the issue with their supervisor, then he/she should contact the next supervisor in their chain of command.  If the problem is unable to be resolved after those steps, the individual should contact Employee Relations.

Employee Relations will meet with the employee to discuss the complaint.  The employee will be requested to submit a written statement detailing the complaint.  Further action may or may not be taken by Employee Relations depending on the nature of the problem.

Concerns with perceived unfair treatment/ discrimination.


Non-Disciplinary Removal for Unexcused Absences Policy

This policy only applies to classified employees.  A classified employee is placed on the Non-Disciplinary Removal for Unscheduled Absences Policy when a pattern of absences can be established.  The employee will be given a written notice that his/her attendance requires improvement.

For additional information, please see the Non-Disciplinary Removal for Unscheduled Absences Policy

A classified employee may be separated when he/she has seven (7) or more unscheduled absences during any consecutive twenty-six (26) week period.

An unscheduled absence is one for which the employee did not obtain verbal or written approval by close of business on the employee's regular scheduled workday prior to the absence.


Performance Improvement

A performance improvement letter is intended to inform the employee of their performance deficiencies as well as performance expectations.  The letter is a guide for the employee on improving their overall performance.


Performance improvement letters are not considered as a disciplinary action, as there is no impact on the employee's pay.  However, a performance improvement letter can be used to support future disciplinary actions.


Policy for Individuals with Disabilities

Individuals seeking an accommodation due to a disability should contact the Employee Relations Manager (568-4832). 

For additional information, please review the Americans with Disability Act of 1964 (CM-26). 

Employment and Recruitment


Interested applicants can visit the C.S. website for the schedule.  In New Orleans, the test is usually given twice per month.  The Schedule is determined by C.S.  The New Orleans Saturday testing center is located at Delgado Community College - City Park Campus at 615 City Park Ave, Building 1. 

For more information regarding the test you may need to take, please visit the Civil Service website at

You should bring a completed application and a picture ID to take the Civil Service Exam.

Payroll is located in Room 611 of the Resource Center, 433 Bolivar Street.

Visit LA Careers on the Civil Service website for vacancies throughout the state and apply for any position that you are qualified and interested in.

Yes, university attorneys are available to notarize documents related to university business by appointment only on the 8th floor of the Resource Center, 433 Bolivar Street. Call the Legal Affairs department at (504) 568-4992 to schedule an appointment.

Human Resource Management is located in the Resource Center, 433 Bolivar St. between Tulane Ave. & Gravier St. one block from University Hospital towards the River, and normal operation hours are between 8:00 a.m. - 4:30 p.m., Monday - Friday.

All employment verification requests must use the automated service provided by The Work Number*.  LSU Health Sciences Center - New Orleans will provide Federal, State and local government agencies any employee information required by law.  Verifiers may call the Work Number or go online at to verify information.  LSUHSC-NO employer code is: 17745

A re-allocation is an upward adjustment in pay based on additional duties and responsibilities that are significant enough to warrant the job being changed to a higher level. A promotion takes place when a person moves from one job classification to another job of higher level. In a re-allocation, the employee typically remains in the same section and department. In a promotion, the employee often moves from one section or department to another section or department.

Yes. All immigrant alien males, other than those admitted on nonimmigrant visas, must register, whether or not they have a green card.

For a complete list of of who must register, please click on the link below.

Who must register -



Payroll is located in Room 611 on the 6th Floor of the Library, Resource and Administration Building. The address is 433 Bolivar Street, Suite 611, New Orleans, LA 70112.

Yes. There is no fixed limit to the number of direct deposits.

No. Increases for student workers should be based on performance, quality of work, dependability, acquisition of skills, etc. There would be no "automatic" reason to support an increase for a student worker who is marginal in the above stated areas.

Depending on the employee's age, the maximum annual contribution is as follows: Employees under the age of 50 during the respective calendar year: Year 2019 - $19,000.00

Employees reaching the age of 50 during the respective calendar year:

Year 2019 - $25,000.00

Employees should consult the Payroll Department or the Benefits Department regarding eligibility for maximum contribution.

Yes. For example, an eligible employee under the age of 50 can contribute $19,000.00 to each Plan for the Year 2019 for a total of $38,000.00.

Yes. An employee can contribute to more than one vendor. The total contributions between the vendors cannot exceed the maximum annual contribution.

Employees can revise Federal Withholding or State Withholding form as often as needed.

Garnishment deductions from payroll checks will cease upon the receipt of a release from the courts.


Training and Development

For courses offered in the New Orleans area please contact Talent Development.