The Isché Library will be open Summer Hours the weekend before the 4th of July, Saturday 9:30am – 6pm and Sunday 12noon to 10pm. On Monday, July 3rd, the downtown library will be open 8am – 6pm. And closed on the 4th. Summer Hours resume on July 5th and run through the end of the month.
The Dental Library will also be in Summer Hours and will be closed Saturday and Sunday. Dental will be open from 8am – 5pm on Monday July 3rd. And closed on the 4th. Summer Hours resume on the 5th and run through the 16th.
INNOPAC and off campus access to library materials will be down for a scheduled upgrade on Wednesday, June 28th. While we hope the system will be back up quickly, we have allowed an all-day window for this upgrade. The upgrade is expected to start at 5:30am.
The Isché Library will close at 10pm Sunday through Thursday and at 6pm on Fridays for June and July.
It will continue to be open 7 days a week and open at its normal times of 8am Monday through Friday, 9:30am on Saturday and 12noon on Sundays.
- Monday – Thursday 8am-10pm
- Friday 8am-6pm
- Saturday 9:30am-6pm
- Sunday 12noon-10pm
The Louisiana Department of Health is seeking public input for 30 days (starting May 8th) regarding their Hepatitis C Initiative. They are looking for ” innovative mechanisms that will allow us to treat those affected in an economical fashion, drastically reducing the long-term costs associated with untreated Hepatitis C.” Public Comment is via a webform.
Researchers have been working on an experimental blood test that could point out autism in children. So far, the test is 98 percent accurate in children ages 3 to 10 in diagnosing if they have autism.
“The test was able to predict autism, regardless of where on the spectrum an individual was,” according to study co-author Juergen Hahn in the MedlinePlus article. The test was also able to indicate the severity of the autism-related condition with good accuracy.
This new test is a stark contrast to the current approach of diagnosing autism, which entails a consensus from a group of medical professionals. The blood test, on the other hand, looks for key metabolism markers in the child.
The study was small, with less than 200 participants, so more research is planned to follow-up on the claims.
To read more about the study, please visit “Could a Blood Test Spot Autism in Childhood?”
It’s been 10 years that the Libraries have been creating content on this site! As a glance back to a decade ago, what did we publish on?
- AccessMedicine – still a great product
- AltHealthWatch – to which we’re still subscribed via EBSCOhost
- REMM – Radiation Emergency Medical Management, from NLM
- PDAs – OK that one hasn’t aged well…
Happy Anniversary to the Libraries News.
*Upgrade complete: 8:48am
We are currently upgrading our INNOPAC server and so that service is not available. We hope it will be restored quickly.
The Isché Library is pleased to host the National Library of Medicine/National Institutes of Health display: Pictures of Nursing: the Zwerdling Postcard Collection, which explores the relationship of nursing to events in 20th-century life and how nursing was perceived. For more information on the exhibit, visit the NLM exhibition page.
The exhibit will be in the Library Commons from Monday, March 24th through Friday April 21st.
The Libraries will have shortened hours surrounding Carnival.
- Friday, February 24th both the Dental and Isché Libraries close at 5 pm.
- Saturday, February 25th the Isché Library will be open regular hours from 9:30 am to 6 pm & the Dental Library will be closed.
- Sunday, February 26th the Dental Library will be open regular hours from 11:30 am to 8 pm & the Isché Library will be open 12 noon to 8:30 pm.
- Monday, February 27th both Libraries will be open 8 am to 5 pm.
- Tuesday, February 28th both Libraries will be closed for Mardi Gras.
- Wednesday, March 1st the Dental Library will be open 8 am to 5 pm. The Isché Library will be open regular hours 8 am to 12 midnight.
- Thursday, March 2nd the Dental Library will be open 8 am to 5 pm. The Isché Library will be open regular hours 8 am to 12 midnight.