The National Library of Medicine’s traveling exhibit “Physician Assistants: Collaboration and Care” is now at the LSUHSC-NO Isché Library. The display will be set up in the Library Commons on the third floor of the Resource Center until February 28.
Physician Assistants are nationally certified professionals who evaluate, diagnose, treat, and care for patients, with physician supervision. This exhibit covers the history of the PA profession, the profession’s emphasis on diversity, and the many ways in which PAs care for patients in the United States and across the globe.
Helpful links and educational resources provided by the National Library of Medicine in conjunction with the exhibit include lesson plans for upper elementary and high school classes, a higher education module with instructor resources, and a bibliography of additional readings.
This exhibition was created by the National Library of Medicine with assistance from the National Commission on Certification of Physician Assistants. Additional information about this exhibit can be found online: https://www.nlm.nih.gov/exhibition/pa-collaborationandcare/index.html
Tags: library commons, Library News, NLM, NLM EXHIBIT, Physician Assistant | Allied Health, Library Commons, Library News, Physician Assistant | Permalink | Comments Off on NLM exhibit “Physician Assistants” now at Isché Library! | Posted Monday, January 21, 2019 by Corder, Amy L.
Our latest New Books Display highlights a few of the E-books in the Thieme Clinical Collections.
The Thieme Clinical Collections provide access to Thieme Publisher’s books for the medical specialties. The current collection includes over 600 books published from 2000-2017. Specialties include audiology, dentistry, gastroenterology, internal medicine, neurology, neurosurgery, nuclear medicine, obstetrics & gynecology, ophthalmology, orthodontics, orthopedics, orthopedic surgery, orthopedic trauma, otolaryngology, otology, pathology, pediatric neurology, physical therapy, plastic surgery, radiology, surgery, urology, and more.
- Plastic Surgery Emergencies: Principles and Techniques — Bullocks, Jamal M.; Hsu, Patrick W.; Izaddoost, Shayan A.; et al.: 2017
- Decision Making in Orthopaedic Trauma — Marmor, Meir T.: 2017
- Physical Examination of the Spine — Albert, Todd; Vaccaro, Alexander: 2017
- Differential Diagnosis in Neuroimaging: Spine — Meyers, Steven P.: 2017
- Hand and Wrist Anatomy and Biomechanics: A Comprehensive Guide — Hirt, Bernhard; Seyhan, Harun; Wagner, Michael; et al.: 2017
- Minimally Invasive Glaucoma Surgery: A Practical Guide — Francis, Brian A.; Sarkisian, Steven R.; Tan, James C.: 2017
- Pediatric Otolaryngology: Practical Clinical Management — Clarke, R. W.: 2017
- Abdominal Ultrasound: Step by Step — Block, Berthold: 2016
- Facial Nerve Disorders and Diseases: Diagnosis and Management — Guntinas-Lichius, Orlando; Schaitkin, Barry M.: 2016
- Orthopedic Biomechanics — Brinckmann, Paul; Frobin, Wolfgang; Leivseth, Gunnar; et al.: 2016
- Pelvic Pain and Dysfunction: A Differential Diagnosis Manual — Philip, Peter A.: 2016
- Clinical Epidemiology of Orthopaedic Trauma — Su, Yanling; Chen, Wei; Wang, Juan; et al.: 2016
- The Chronic Ear — Dornhoffer, John L.; Gluth, Michael B.: 2016
- Patient Blood Management — Gombotz, Hans; Zacharowski, Kai; Spahn, Donat Rudolf: 2016
- Atlas of Peripheral Regional Anesthesia: Anatomy and Techniques — Meier, Gisela; Buettner, Johannes: 2016
These E-books and many more are included in the Thieme Clinical Collections.
If you have any questions about the collection or how to access our E-book collections, do not hesitate to contact a library staff member over chat, email, phone, or in person.
Tags: Digital Collections, ebooks, New books | Allied Health, Communication Disorders, E-Book News, E-Resource News, Medicine, Ophthalmology, Otorhinolaryngology, Pediatrics, Physical Therapy, Physician Assistant | Permalink | Comments Off on New Books Display June 2018 – Thieme Clinical Collection! | Posted Wednesday, June 13, 2018 by Corder, Amy L.
The Isché Library is featuring books about subjects related to upcoming health observances in the Month of May! Information about these health observances as well as the featured books are in the New Books display. The display is located near the 3rd floor elevator. Subjects include Sports Medicine, Emergency Medicine, Dermatology, Environmental Public Health, and Immunology.
These books and many more are available for checkout and/or online access. If you have questions about checking out a book, do not hesitate to ask a library staff member.
May 26 is Heat Safety Awareness Day.
May is National Physical Fitness and Sports Month.
- Clinical Sports Medicine, 3rd ed., by Peter Brukner, Karim Khan.
- Motivating People to be Physically Active, by Bess H.Marcus, LeighAnn H. Forsyth.
- Physique, Fitness, and Performance, 2nd ed., by Thomas Battinelli.
- A Lifelong Guide to Wellness and Prevention, by Louisiana State University Health Sciences Center, Department of Occupational Therapy, School of Allied Health Professions. Also available in E-book format!
- ACSM’s Guidelines for Exercise Testing and Prescription, 8th ed., by American College of Sports Medicine; senior editor, Walter R. Thompson; associate editors, Neil F. Gordon, Linda S. Pescatello.
May is Melanoma/Skin Cancer Detection and Prevention Month ®.
May 22 – 28 is Healthy and Safe Swimming Week.
May is National Asthma and Allergy Awareness Month.
- Global Surveillance, Prevention, and Control of Chronic Respiratory Diseases : A Comprehensive Approach, edited by Jean Bousquet and Nikolai Khaltaev; core contributors were Alvaro A. Cruz … et al. Also available in E-book format!
- Clinical Manifestations and Assessment of Respiratory Disease, 6th ed., by Terry Des Jardins, George G. Burton ; medical illustrations by Timothy H. Phelps.
- Bronchial Asthma : A Guide for Practical Understanding and Treatment, 5th ed., edited by M. Eric Gershwin, Timothy E. Albertson.
- Allergy, 3rd ed., edited by Stephen T. Holgate, Martin K. Church, Lawrence M. Lichtenstein.
- Atlas of Allergic Diseases, edited by Phillip L. Lieberman, Michael S. Blaiss; with 39 contributors.
Tags: New books | Allied Health, Books, Emergency Medicine, Family Medicine, Library News, Medicine, Microbiology, Observances, Occupational therapy, Otorhinolaryngology, Pathology, Pediatrics, Physical Therapy, Physician Assistant, Public Health, Toxicology | Permalink | Comments Off on May Health Observances Display | Posted Monday, April 24, 2017 by Corder, Amy L.
This January, the LSU Health Sciences Center jumps on the health education bandwagon as it inaugurates a brand-new ARC-PA accredited physician assistant training program. LSUHSCÔÇÖs 29-month program of study in evidence-based medicine will instruct its students in patient examination, diagnosis, and treatment.
Dr. Charles L. Hudson first proposed the creation of a physicianÔÇÖs assistant position at a 1961 meeting of the American Medical Association (AMA) as a way to mitigate the decline in primary care providers. Ranked second in CNN Money MagazineÔÇÖs ÔÇ£Best Jobs in America 2010,ÔÇØ this careerÔÇÖs ÔÇ£average annual pay was $86,410 in 2010 according to the U.S. Bureau of Labor Statistics. Federal labor officials projected a 30 percent growth rate in the occupation between 2010 and 2020.ÔÇØ
The John P. Isch?® Library would like to take this opportunity to welcome LSUHSCÔÇÖs 30 new students to the School of Allied Health Professionals! We look forward to introducing you to all our Library has to offer.