The first New Books display for Fall 2018 is now posted on the New Books Shelf (3rd floor of the Ische Library)! This display highlights some course textbooks for medical students as well as other titles of interest for faculty, students, and staff on two of our newest e-book resources: Access Neurology and ClinicalKey!
(* denotes course textbook for medicine)
Access Neurology Titles:
- Clinical Neurology and Neuroanatomy: a localization-based approach by Berkowitz, 2017*
- Molecular Neuropharmacology: a foundation for clinical neuroscience by Nestler, 3rd ed. 2015*
- The Hospital Neurology Book edited by Salardini and Biller, 2016.
- Neuromuscular Disorders by Amato and Russell, 2nd ed. 2016
- DeMyer’s The Neurologic Examination: a programmed text by Biller, Gruener, and Brazis, 7th ed. 2017
- Depression in Medical Illness edited by Barsky and Silbersweig, 2016
- Pediatric Practice: Neurology edited by Carney and Geyer, 2010
- Neuroanatomy Text and Atlas by John H. Martin, 4th ed. 2012
- Principles of Medical Biochemistry by Meisenberg, 4th ed. 2017*
- Thompson and Thompson Genetics in Medicine by Nussbaum, 8th ed. 2016*
- Robbins and Cotran Pathologic Basis of Disease edited by Kumar, Abbas, and Aster, 9th ed. 2015*
- Sedation: a guide to patient management by Malamed, 6th ed. 2018*
- Atlas of Essential Procedures by Tuggy and Garcia, 2011
- Child Abuse and Neglect: Diagnosis, Treatment and Evidence by Carole Jenny, 2011
- Signs and Symptoms in Family Medicine: a Literature-Based Approach edited by Paulman, 2012
- Principles of Gender-Specific Medicine: gender in the genomic era by Legato, 3rd ed. 2017
- Travel Medicine edited by Keystone, 3rd ed. 2013
- Integrative Medicine by Rakel, 4th ed. 2018
- Textbook of Physical Diagnosis: history and examination by Swartz, 7th ed. 2014
- Roberts and Hedges’ Clinical Procedures in Emergency Medicine and Acute Care edited by Roberts, 7th ed. 2019
This month the Isché Library is featuring some of our newest E-books on the New Books Display, located near the 3rd floor elevator. If you would like information on how to access E-books, the circulation staff would be happy to assist you.
These books and many more are available for online access.
Featured E-books from ScienceDirect EBS Collection:
The ScienceDirect EBS Collection is a group of e-books the LSUHSC Libraries have access to through June 2018. After that time, the most-used books will be added to the Libraries’ permanent collections.
Featured E-books from EBSCOhost:
EBSCOhost E-books may be printed, saved, or emailed one chapter at a time.
Featured E-books from Ovid:
Featured E-books from AccessMedicine:
AccessMedicine E-books may be printed one chapter at a time.
These are just some of the latest additions to our E-Book collection. E-Books can be accessed through our catalog and also through the various database links on our webpage.
The Isché Library is featuring books about subjects related to upcoming health observances in the Month of May! Information about these health observances as well as the featured books are in the New Books display. The display is located near the 3rd floor elevator. Subjects include Sports Medicine, Emergency Medicine, Dermatology, Environmental Public Health, and Immunology.
These books and many more are available for checkout and/or online access. If you have questions about checking out a book, do not hesitate to ask a library staff member.
May 26 is Heat Safety Awareness Day.
May is National Physical Fitness and Sports Month.
- Clinical Sports Medicine, 3rd ed., by Peter Brukner, Karim Khan.
- Motivating People to be Physically Active, by Bess H.Marcus, LeighAnn H. Forsyth.
- Physique, Fitness, and Performance, 2nd ed., by Thomas Battinelli.
- A Lifelong Guide to Wellness and Prevention, by Louisiana State University Health Sciences Center, Department of Occupational Therapy, School of Allied Health Professions. Also available in E-book format!
- ACSM’s Guidelines for Exercise Testing and Prescription, 8th ed., by American College of Sports Medicine; senior editor, Walter R. Thompson; associate editors, Neil F. Gordon, Linda S. Pescatello.
May is Melanoma/Skin Cancer Detection and Prevention Month ®.
May 22 – 28 is Healthy and Safe Swimming Week.
May is National Asthma and Allergy Awareness Month.
- Global Surveillance, Prevention, and Control of Chronic Respiratory Diseases : A Comprehensive Approach, edited by Jean Bousquet and Nikolai Khaltaev; core contributors were Alvaro A. Cruz … et al. Also available in E-book format!
- Clinical Manifestations and Assessment of Respiratory Disease, 6th ed., by Terry Des Jardins, George G. Burton ; medical illustrations by Timothy H. Phelps.
- Bronchial Asthma : A Guide for Practical Understanding and Treatment, 5th ed., edited by M. Eric Gershwin, Timothy E. Albertson.
- Allergy, 3rd ed., edited by Stephen T. Holgate, Martin K. Church, Lawrence M. Lichtenstein.
- Atlas of Allergic Diseases, edited by Phillip L. Lieberman, Michael S. Blaiss; with 39 contributors.
Thanks to the School of Medicine Office of Student Technology, LSUHSC now has access to a new web-based clinical application designed to aid in visual diagnosis and patient education.
VisualDx?á allows point-of-care assistance for the user. The differential builder, diagnosis search, and medication search provide the information necessary to compare symptoms, visual cues, diagnosis, and treatment options. The VisualDx image bank contains over 25,000 medical images of diseases of the skin, hair, nails, eyes, lungs, etc. and shows variations by age, skin type, and stage.
You can watch a video overview of the application here:?áhttp://www.visualdx.com/features/video-overview.
Access to VisualDx is currently available through August 2014 for use on campus as well as off-campus for those with remote access privileges.?áSupported browsers are Internet Explorer 7+, Google Chrome, Firefox, and Safari. VisualDx also supports mobile wireless devices with a 3G or 4G connection.